Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I have, many times, in the past found that there are parts for one thing that fit another and cost way less. Case in point; Honda VTX front wheel seal $10.96... Same seal from a local bearing and seal shop = $3.04... and all I needed was the part number from the seal itself. Thus, there are a lot of savings to be had if one just knows where to look.

With that in mind, I have heard that there is a CV boot from a older GEO Metro that is a direct replacement for the boot on the 500 Foreman and many other models. If anyone has any info about parts that will fill the need from other sources and cost less than the ATV market is demanding... Please post that information so that cheap skates like me can benefit from your good shopping sense.

Thanx

:icon_cool:

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I doubt if there's many parts from an automobile that will fit on an ATV, I don't know about the CV boot, it might work. I would say that there's a lot of parts from other ATVs that will fit certain other ATVs, such as a timing chain tensioner, certain wheel bearings, brake pads, etc. If I'm not mistaken, the Honda timing chain tensioner on most Honda ATVs, at least the ones with the overhead cams, are the same. I know certain wheel bearings and brake pads will interchange, I don't remember which ones. Some parts will even interchange between different brand ATVs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I doubt if there's many parts from an automobile that will fit on an ATV, I don't know about the CV boot, it might work. I would say that there's a lot of parts from other ATVs that will fit certain other ATVs, such as a timing chain tensioner, certain wheel bearings, brake pads, etc. If I'm not mistaken, the Honda timing chain tensioner on most Honda ATVs, at least the ones with the overhead cams, are the same. I know certain wheel bearings and brake pads will interchange, I don't remember which ones. Some parts will even interchange between different brand ATVs.
I was not really limiting the idea to automotive parts. I know that many parts are "industry standard" and the only difference in them is the particular brands' assigned "Part Number". I think that we could all benefit from the experience of others if there were a "sticky: that contained those parts in a comparison format.

Example:

Timken Bearing number x-x-xxx-xx-xx
fits;
* Honda rear axle on models xxx,xxxxx,xxx,xxxxx,xxxxxxx, and xxxx.
* Yamaha front wheel on models xxxx,xxxxxxx,xx,xx,xxxxxx, andx

etc...

:icon_cool:

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I was not really limiting the idea to automotive parts. I know that many parts are "industry standard" and the only difference in them is the particular brands' assigned "Part Number". I think that we could all benefit from the experience of others if there were a "sticky: that contained those parts in a comparison format.
Oh yeah, I agree.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts