Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,533 Posts
Powder coat the frame that will be the strongest but if your talking about the plastic you will be better off buying new. Welcome to the forums.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Find a paint with a flex agent in it. If you don't, the first time the fenders bounce up and down or flex, your paint is gone. Surface prep is extremely important.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another Option for serious protection would be Line-X. Sam in Naples Fl is an expert. (239) 293-9005 they now have colors too!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree buy new plastics.............I tried painting mine and ended up buying new.........Cracking wasn't the issue for me it was scratching

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Painting isn't a good idea unless you plan on letting it sit .... if you do decide to paint the plastic you will have to do as Red stated on the type of paint but inorder for that paint to stick you will need to clean the surface with wax and grease remover then hand sand with 320 then spray a good coating of adhesion promotor or bulldog as it's called then prime it scotch brite that then you can paint it. but riding through the woods you would be lucky to get a week out of it. Maier USA has replacement plastics pretty reasonable. You can also order the factory decal from. www.bikebandit.com

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, like they said, painting plastic doesn't work too good. It just gets scratched and the paint chips off and then it just looks bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree buy new plastics.............I tried painting mine and ended up buying new.........Cracking wasn't the issue for me it was scratching
Is there a trick to getting the plastic pins out without ruining them?? Can it be done with a screwdriver or is there some kind of tool designed for this?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
You can use a screwdriver to pull the inside of the plastic pin up, but I usually use a pair of side cutters. They work better, but you can't grip them too tight or you will cut it in two.

·
Registered
38 Posts
use a flat head and slide the tip under the center pin. then carfuly turn the screw driver back and forth to pry in up a lil at a time. this way you wont tear up the head on the pin no matter how soft or old it is. as for the paint, keep it up away from the side that will rub trees and limbs. also use a clear coat to seal it in a lil better, other wise any lil scrap will scaratch it off. i have done a lil pait detail on mine around the snorkels and gas tank. I did not seal it, i left it flat black and just touch it up after it gets scratched by something. No biggy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts