Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i have just gotten a 400ex that i am rebuilding. the prvious owner beat the hell out of it and im bringing it back to life. with anything i own i like it to look as goo as it runs. the frame colers do not match the plastic which i plan to get new plastic with the colors i want. i plan on sandplasting the frame a arms etc. i know powdercoating is exspensive and trying to avoid. so realy my ?? is should i primer and paint everything with heavy coats of heavyduty tractor paint with heavy clear on it or shou;d i go with the colerd rubber plastc coating like what is used in truck beds and undercarrages? didnt know if anyone here has used either or and what has stood up better to the terrain. any suggestions would help thanks

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Powder coating will give you the best results. IMO! I have never seen truck bed liner on them. My buddy painted his and he is happy with the results and it looks good. It has held up for 2+ years.

·
Premium Member
7,533 Posts
The bed liner stuff may hold up. Ive seen it on and around 4X4 trucks around the finders floor pans, ect. It seems to be tough stuff.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Paint and primer would be fine for a while but it will have to be gone over later on down the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used Rock Guard Spray on the frame, racks, etc, on my 1991 TRX300FW and it looks amazing. Sort of like carbon fibre or graphite. Has held up really, really well.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I painted my backhoe door with newholland paint from the dealer. The stuff if amazing. I think it is somekind of laquer based paint. It is meant to be sprayed but I brushed it on and it works great. Its drys fast like laquer base paint, has some body, and will lay flat fast. If you do brush it you have to work fast to keep the live edge so you dont get drag marks. Its is some tuff a$$ paint. If I was to paint my frame at home I would use this paint hands down. Its designed for equipment so it should hold up fine on a atv.
http://www.tractorpartsinc.com/new_holland_enamel_tractor_equipment_paint_359_ctg.htm

·
Registered
78 Posts
Powder coating is by far the best option but It's not for the faint of heart. First there's the cost then the fact that your going to have to stip your frame completely of the engine, wiring, hoses, anything that's not the frame itself. Then you'll need to sandblast the whole thing, take it to be coated, then reassemble the whole mess. If your planning on tearing it down to a bear frame anyway then I'd say its worth the $ to have it powdercoated otherwise just paint what you can and keep it clean.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Price and time not being a factor, I would go with the powder coating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tractor paint would look the best if u dont wana spend the money 4 powdercoting just 4 the fact that tractor paint is thicker and wont chip as easy

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
there is an epoxy type paint called emron is a one coat system and is used on tractor trucks for long road durability but you need to find a place to spray it for you it is very toxic to lung function but really tough good luck post pics as you go

1 - 12 of 12 Posts