Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 TRX 350 FM has cut out on me a couple of times now. I'm thinking overheating but don't want to go ahead checking the thermo switch, ICM and stuff, yet! I can't say if the fan was working at the time because I wasn't expecting my machine to die on me. After a few minutes the machine does restart. Has anybody had this problem ? Any ideas ?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
What were you doing at the time when it cut off? It takes a lot for them to overheat, even if the fan wasn't working, and if it were that hot I don't think it would restart in just a few minutes.

BTW, the fan should continue to run as long as the key is on, even if the machine isn't running.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ! I was just mogging along an old woods road for some thirty minutes when she shut down. I won't get a chance until next week but I think I'll retrace my route and see if it happens again, if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If you were moving around and air was moving over the engine, then I doubt it's overheating. That's not to say there isn't a temperature failure with a certain component, but it's probably not because the engine is getting too hot.

Does this thing have a fuel filter? If it has, you might want to replace it.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The 350 Rancher is notorious for the thermo sensor going bad, causing the engine to get hot and melt the piston and rings. I've seen this happen lots and lots of times.

If you determine that the fan isn't coming on, do the following. To test the fan and oil temp light, unplug the wire from the thermo sensor and ground it to the engine, with the keyswitch on. The fan and oil temp light, both, should come on. If they do, check your thermo sensor.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Let me add, I'm not saying that's your problem, you need to determine if it's actually running hot, first. If you determine that it is running hot, do the checks I mentioned above.

Your carb might just need cleaning.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Does this thing have a fuel filter? If it has, you might want to replace it.
No, it don't have a fuel filter, unless it has been added by someone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ground the thermo sensor connector and the fan did work. Thanks Helmut ! Pain, there's no fuel filter. There's a screen in the fuel valve. A pain in the ass to get at though. You have to remove the tank, drain it, remove the fuel valve. I guess I have no other choice if I'm to check fuel flow. Having said that, she has a steady idle and clean acceleration from slow to high speeds.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
There's a screen in the fuel valve. A pain in the ass to get at though. You have to remove the tank, drain it, remove the fuel valve. I guess I have no other choice if I'm to check fuel flow.
I would just pull the gas hose off the fuel valve and see if it's flowing good. If it is, I wouldn't worry about cleaning the screen. Check the flow on both, the "on" position and the "reserve" position.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I was just thinking if it had a filter [even one added later] that it might clog up. Let it sit a minute and it clears itself and then start it and it clogs again. I had an old vw that did that.

But, that point is moot now. If there is no filter, then don't rip the tank apart to clean it, that's not the problem unless someone poured sand in your tank. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts