Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, it may not truly be the dark side but it is surely the cold side. With most of our trails closing in October and a select few staying open til Dec.1 but being impassable due to early snow fall, I couldn't stand the fact that I'd have to wait until June 16 for them to open again. So.........I bought a snowmobile. Hopefully I can continue to enjoy our mountains and get out on the trails again. We have some that are groomed and some that people just go ride. This is a whole new activity, the biggest issue to work out is trying to find the right riding clothes that are going to keep my wife warm, and visors that aren't going to fog up so bad. I think I found something that will take care of that problem, I just need to figure how to tie into the 12 volt system on the sled to run the heated visor in the new stinking helmets I had to buy, once I figure that out I'll do the same thing on my 4 wheeler so I can have clear vision while plowing at -20 over at my mom's place. That's half the battle of plowing, being able to see, working all day by the time I get home it's dark so when I head across town to plow, I'm all fogged up by the time I get there. So hopefully will get this figured out soon. This whole thing is certainly a new can of worms to get figured out and worked through, Went for a ride the other night at -11. Didn't take long to figure out I/We don't have then right gear. Online shopping here we come. Hope all of you guys down south are enjoying your continued success of riding your ATV's while I'll be up here trying to figure out this new adventure. Here's a couple of pics of the new snow ride. '05 RMK 600, Only had to drive a mere 5 1/2 hours in heavy blinding snow and icy crappy roads to go get it, and 5 1/2 hours back.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Well, it may not truly be the dark side but it is surely the cold side. With most of our trails closing in October and a select few staying open til Dec.1 but being impassable due to early snow fall, I couldn't stand the fact that I'd have to wait until June 16 for them to open again. So.........I bought a snowmobile. Hopefully I can continue to enjoy our mountains and get out on the trails again. We have some that are groomed and some that people just go ride. This is a whole new activity, the biggest issue to work out is trying to find the right riding clothes that are going to keep my wife warm, and visors that aren't going to fog up so bad. I think I found something that will take care of that problem, I just need to figure how to tie into the 12 volt system on the sled to run the heated visor in the new stinking helmets I had to buy, once I figure that out I'll do the same thing on my 4 wheeler so I can have clear vision while plowing at -20 over at my mom's place. That's half the battle of plowing, being able to see, working all day by the time I get home it's dark so when I head across town to plow, I'm all fogged up by the time I get there. So hopefully will get this figured out soon. This whole thing is certainly a new can of worms to get figured out and worked through, Went for a ride the other night at -11. Didn't take long to figure out I/We don't have then right gear. Online shopping here we come. Hope all of you guys down south are enjoying your continued success of riding your ATV's while I'll be up here trying to figure out this new adventure. Here's a couple of pics of the new snow ride. '05 RMK 600, Only had to drive a mere 5 1/2 hours in heavy blinding snow and icy crappy roads to go get it, and 5 1/2 hours back.
Years ago, we use to make trips up to the UP of Michigan and WOW, what fun to ride snowmobiles. Nice looking sled and have always thought Polaris great sleds...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, should be a good time as long as we can stay warm. Went for a ride tonight, perfect temp 34degrees, could have ridden for hours it was so pleasant. Probably going to head out this weekend as we are going to get another 12-14 inches of snow. Hey, if I can't ride the 4 wheeler might as well have some fun somehow. Thanks alloutdoors, I think we're going to enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Congrats, sleds are a lot of fun!

As far as the type of regulated DC power supply for your heated shields go, it depends on whether your sled has a battery in it or not. It it has a battery for starting then a simple DC-DC converter can be rigged up pretty cheap. If not, a full wave rectifier can be added to convert AC charging voltage to DC before going through an adjustable DC-DC converter/regulator.

But if there is a place on the dash for an optional factory harness and plug that may be the cleanest way to go... you can check with a dealer or scrounge around the Polaris forums for DIY power supply ideas if you need to. If you can't find anything that will work on your machine, send me your requirements in a PM and I'll mail you a plug and play setup, free gratis.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Retro, great, thanks a lot I appreciate it. I'll be in touch if I can't figure it out.i I can't wait to get out and see some of my favorite trails in the winter, I'm sure it will be a totally different perspective. I'll be in touch if I can't get it figured out. :grinFF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts