Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first time posting on a forum, I’ve searched extensively for the past three days, if there’s already a thread with an answer I apologize! I’ve got a 93 fourtrax that ran great for about 6 months, a few days ago I went to start it and found this issue. It will run and rev up with starter held but dies immediately upon releasing starter button. Kill switch seems to be working, won’t fire in off position, will in on position. Replaced the cdi as was mentioned in the only thread I could find on the subject, nothing changed. Tried it with a jumper, brand new battery, no change. I’m really confused as to how it could run with the starter button held but not when I release it…
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,128 Posts
Did you buy an OEM CDI?
Try reviving your old OEM CDI. Heat it in an oven connector side up, for at least 3 hours. No more than 200F. Let cool completely before you reinstall.

will the battery pass a load test (using a load tester)?

Download the Honda service manual from the link in my signature block below. I would start with oil cooling system and ignition diagnostics charts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oem cdi, literally changed nothing. I checked out all of the wiring, everything looks good, charged and tested battery, then reconnected, still nothing. Having a hard time understanding how it could run perfectly while holding the starter but dies immediately upon release, especially with the new cdi. Is there some mechanism that switches over control of the firing of the plug that isn’t working after releasing the starter button? I’m completely ignorant mechanically so maybe that obvious and I just don’t know what I’m doing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, just noticed if I turn on the headlights, while holding starter and it’s running, it dies, turn them off it’s running again (while holding starter button). Does that narrow anything down?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Downloaded the manual, I’ll have to do some testing. Any chance the pulse generator or rectifier has anything to do with it? Again, I’m ignorant. Is there a clear explanation of how this thing starts online somewhere? Like I’m assuming the starter relay powers the starter and diverts power to the coil to start, but what happens, or is SUPPOSED to be happening, when you release the button? Is the power to the coil running through a different circuit while holding the button than when you’re not? I looked at the wiring diagram, but again, not too savvy on this stuff. I appreciate any help!

·
Premium Member
5,128 Posts
I can’t see it being the pulse generator or reg/rec. Good to know you have a spare OEM CDI now.

I think it may be the ignition master switch. the contacts may be worn and may be cross-contacting. I have heard of this before. Look at the schematic you may see these three systems energized by this switch.
When you switch on try not to rotate the key so far or try to rotate the key more completely.

you can still buy a new OEM ignition switch. Easy to swap out. Remove the bumper, carrier and fender.

·
Premium Member
5,128 Posts
There’s a way to test the connectors but you have to remove the front carrier and fender.

Unless you are able to do this testing i would replace the ignition master switch. $50. I have seen other members with this problem look at the manual schematic—if the inside of the switch is deteriorating you can get debris that shorts across the lighting and starter circuit. I could be wrong so unless you have a meter and manual you should take it to the shop.

Use the oem parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla. IDK what specific model you have but here’s for mine.
Font Parallel Rectangle Diagram Auto part

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can’t afford taking it to a shop, I have a multimeter and the diagram, I’ll start checking continuity. And I can remove the carrier and fender, that won’t be a problem. I was hoping there was a way to bypass the switch but if not I guess I’ll take it apart and see what it looks like inside.
i did get it to run a few days ago, ran great for about 10 minutes, died, then same problem…

·
Premium Member
5,128 Posts
Ok let us know if you need a better photo of the schematic; I’ll take one from my Honda OEM printed manual.

youll take the meter and hook to a couple of leads the flip the switch a few times and see if the reading bounces around

1 - 11 of 11 Posts