Honda ATV Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts
you guys got me worried now as I used some 4 cycle snow blower oil recently. It's what I had laying around and figured it can't hurt since it was supposedly premium 4 cycle oil 5w-30 for the cold state of Maine. But now I'm not sure if it will be good for the wet clutch. Guess I better change it again and use the better quality.

Have a trx350 and trx420. About to do service. Is the tranny and crankcase shared? Will switch to synthetic oil in both as everyone states they shift better but do they share common oil or are they different?

Benzie, the transmission and the crankshaft are in the same crankcase and share the same oil. Use the same oil for each of your machines.

Does Honda actually manufacture their line of oil, or is it just a label and made from someone else? I've even heard that Mobil makes it for them, but we all know how that is, we like proof.
If you want to know who actually makes your brand name or non brand name oil. There is a plant/manufacture code on the bottom of the container, it's a little hard to cross reference the code with a particular brand of oil, as there is not a lot of info on the web about it yet. The code is defiantly unique to each plant. I have a friend who works at Coastal Oil in North Carolina, and you would be surprised how many name brand oils they produce. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm thinking Havoline, Valvoline, Advance Auto Parts Brand, and a few others. If you have a couple of different brands sitting around check out the 2 digit code on the bottom of the container and you can see which brands are made by the same plant. Also the name brand company(Valvoline,Etc) does not have Coastal make the oil to there specs. Coastal makes the oil to meet or exceed the name brands(Valvoline,Ect) requirements. Basically they don't change the recipe from one name to the other, it's all the same formula. Castrol is one of the few that makes there own engine oil, but I think there Transmission fluid is made by someone else. Go figure.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.