Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I have a NEW 2008 Rancher 2WD 420 . I bought it new just a month ago . I was told by the dealer/service dept that it was shipped with 5W10 oil in it . I know that is pretty thin and they said it was to let it all break-in and everything seat-in . Is this true? I am a pretty good mechanic and it sounds right , but 10 weight oil is just kinda pretty thin . Although my brothers Honda CRV calls for 5W20 all the time .
Can anyone verify this for sure ? I was told to run about 3-5 tanks of gas through it before I brought it in to get the valves adjusted . Does this sound right also ?
Thanks to all in advance .

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
You don't need to get the valves adjusted that quick....jeeeeez. I have never bought from a dealer but maybe they do need it that quick. But I ain't never heard of that. :eek: That sounds right for the oil. After that I would put 10w-40.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't need to get the valves adjusted that quick....jeeeeez. I have never bought from a dealer but maybe they do need it that quick. But I ain't never heard of that. :eek: That sounds right for the oil. After that I would put 10w-40.
Thanks . Now days you cant tell if the dealer is trying to take you on a ride or not . I am a pretty good vehicle mechanic , but I am still new to the ATV world of mechanics .
I just dont understand why you need valves adjusted on a new ATV yet on a car or truck there is no need until about 200,000 or so miles .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my old Yamaha 250 ATV I had it 3 yrs and never had the valves adjusted and I put it through the ringer and still no problems at all .

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
I bought a new Honda 400ex in 07 they told me to bring it in to check the Valves after 15hr. I checked them myself and only adjusted the intake side because they did not meet the specs. I dont Know why they need it so much. but I check mine every 20hrs. I like to make sure but I have only had to adjust maybe 1 other time. on a utility model I heard about 50hrs on it then you should have it serviced but dont quote me. look in your owners manual and see the manufactures recomendations. and i would use the oils they recomend in the manual.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think the owners manual calls for break-in oil change and valve adjustment at 20 hrs or 100 miles. My 09 Rancher has a "Change oil" message in the instrument cluster. I would suggest changing the filter on this change. There could be some fine metal particles trapped in the filter which is where you want them to remain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts