Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, have a 2005 650 Rincon 1000 miles on it. I just lost the transmission and it won't shift into gear either reverse or forward. I took it in to my local dealer and they did a oil pressure test and I have no oil pressure. Now they are telling me they need to take the front cover off the engine to see why this is causing this issue, and it will cost about $1000 just to remove the engine and put back together, that doesn't pay for any parts they may find bad inside.

Does this sound right? Do you really need to drop the whole engine to do this job? What are your thoughts on what this issue could be? I need help, I just spent a ton of money on this quad for some other issues, this is going to kill me.

:eek:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
If your Rincon suddenly stopped moving, there is a good chance that the oil pump drive chain has come off the sprocket. In this case, there will be zero movement and zero oil pressure.I'm not sure on the disassembly but a good service manual should walk you threw it.Make sure you don't start the motor as there is no oil pressure and you will do allot more damage by running it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for the info. Yes it suddenly stopped moving. What would cause the pump to go or the chain to fall off?

Also how many hours of labour would you say are involved in dropping the engine and checking for this issue? Their price seems very high to me. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
IT the dealer they r always HIGH ON THIER PRICES. I would try it myself or check around for some other places to service your needs but the dealer can ask what they want. Thir is a guy I go to that runs a small race shop and thats where I would go if I was not going to do it he seems very honest and his prices are reasonable. Find yo a good shop though because a good job is Important. If you do it GET A SERVICE MANUAL! They help you alot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi everyone, just to give you some feedback. The dealer dropped the engine and the oil pump chain was off, they have never seen this before. They also found that the inside of the engine is shot and there was some major damage. They want $3500 to replace all the parts inside ect. I'm going to do a new post and see if anyone has a refurbished engine for this 650, the amount of labour for this work is a ton so thinking of putting a refurbed engine would be better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts