Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Honda 450 Foreman. When the engine is cold, when I check the oil, it reads full, at the upper marking on dipstick. After I run the the atv for a few min, I check the oil again and it reads between the low and full oil level marks. So it reads lower after engine is warmed up. Is this normal? If so, when should Oil level be accurate, cold or warm engine? Thanks

· Registered
318 Posts
Download an owners manual or even better, the shop manual. Honda changed over to a semi - dry sump around the time yours was made.

· Registered
4 Posts
The difference in levels between a cold and warm engine is because some oil is still coating the various engine components and have not completely drained back into sump. And yes, that's normal.
Reminds me of back in the days ( 60's & early 70's ) when gas attendants would fill you vehicle's fuel tank and ask you to pop open the hood to check your engine's oil level while waiting for the tank to be filled. Many an unsuspecting motorist had been sold a quart of oil when the attendant showed the motorist the dip stick with oil level showing just above the "Add" mark. Them were the good old days and always service with a smile. LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts