Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
what oil do you guys recommend for a 400ex as in what brand and what weight oil also how often do you guys change your oil ??

i just had my wheeler serviced at the local Honda shop for its break service and i might have maybe at the most 10 hours on it sense the service 30 hours total and i noticed that after it gets hot on rare occasion that when i rev it on the way down to idle it puffs a little lite white/blue smoke i read on some other forums that its from the oil breaking down from the heat and slipping past the rings or valves does this sound normal to you guys or do you think i have a problem

thanks for you input

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Honda recommends Honda GN4 10W-40. If you are looking for synthetic, Amsoil is a good choice.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Amsoil is a great product i run the formula 4 stroke and its wet clutch compatable

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
what oil do you guys recommend for a 400ex as in what brand and what weight oil also how often do you guys change your oil ??

i just had my wheeler serviced at the local Honda shop for its break service and i might have maybe at the most 10 hours on it sense the service 30 hours total and i noticed that after it gets hot on rare occasion that when i rev it on the way down to idle it puffs a little lite white/blue smoke i read on some other forums that its from the oil breaking down from the heat and slipping past the rings or valves does this sound normal to you guys or do you think i have a problem

thanks for you input
Honda GN-4 10W40 is a very good oil to use. Also use OEM oil filter installed properly. A new engine needs to be broken in properly. Vary speeds frequently, no lugging on higher gears, full throttle only on short spurts at lower gears (hot engine). ........What oil are you using?

If you race hard and long you may want to consider the full synthetic Honda oil. If going full synthetic Mobil 1 10W40 motorcycle oil is also a very good oil. Another great oil to use is Golden Spectro 10W40. Full synthetics might run you $10-15 a quart, so Golden Spectro 10W40 or Honda semi synthetic might be more reasonable.

Recommended change is after 20 hours and then every 600 miles or 100 hours. A good way to determine when to change oil is to record run time and send in oil samples for testing at various hours to determine when the oil starts to break down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts