Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 TRX500ES2. This site says the Fram CH6015 filter is a comparable replacement oil filter. 2014-2018 Honda Foreman 500 - How to Change the Oil

However someone in the comments says "it should be noted that the ch6015 DOES NOT work in the automatic transmission version. From my research I found only 2 filters that fit the TRX500FA6F..... The Honda made filter and the K&N 114."

I'm new to ATVs. I'm not sure if my TRX500ES2 is automatic. It has no clutch, but to shift gear, press a button on the left handle.

In short, does anyone have a list of oil filters that will fit my TRX500ES2?

As a side note, I purchased the machine used. It has 170 hours on it and about 1600 miles. I can't find out when the oil was changed last. Would it be best to change the oil now?

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
Download the service manual and check parts links in my signature block below. Check parts links especially for part numbers and compare model applications

Only buy OEM if you can help it. The Honda shop will sell you a filter for less than $8, honda Pro GN4 for $7 a quart and a crush washer for $1. $29 oil change is a good deal.

others will tell you different but as a newbie, I’d consult with the manual and follow all instructions—there’s a maintenance schedule in the book.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Goober. Thanks for your reply.

I have the service manual, but thanks for the link. Perhaps its not knowing where to look for the part number for the oil filter for the 2016 TRX500ES2. I looked in maintenance and in the lubrication system. Do you know where the part number is listed?

I'm willing to spend more for an OEM oil change. Do you have a link to "The Honda Shop". I searched this, but was not sure I found what I wanted. The Honda shop - Google Search

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
Use the Partzilla or Rocky Mountain links an identify your specific model you’ll find filter part number under front crankcase cover i believe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not seeing the VIN search on Rocky Mountain, either on the desktop or on the phone. Do you know where to locate that?

·
Registered
28 Posts
TRX500FE is 4wd, electric shift. The automatics are computer shifted or push button shift. Yours has a automatic clutch, it is not an automatic. 15412-HM5-A10 should be the part number. I would worry about the fram filter. I stick with Honda filters. I do not change the sealing washer unless it is leaking and I run Mobil 1 or Rotella oil. I have around 10,000 miles on my 2001 Rancher and have never done more than oil change and valve adjustment to the engine. I have had several sets of tires. Wheel bearings and brakes a couple of times and ball joints and tie rod ends once. Swingarm bearings once also. The air filter has fallen apart while cleaning a couple times too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts