Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard some of the senior members and moderators saying they got o rings with their oil filters as a kit, my question is where would I get them? And what brand along with cost? My o rings aren't leaking but I was going to change oil and filter before storing it this winter. Thanks

JD. :D

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
I know i'm gonna catch flack for this ?, buttttttttttt..still...lol, just go to harbor freight, buy their standard and metric o-ring kits, best money I've ever spent, I haven't had a leak yet anywhere using them, and I use them even on my 1985 magna, your call.

Reactions: retro and jdp

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Walmart - - - - - CH6015 Fram oil filter and comes with the O-Ring
No need for an O-ring kit. . . . unless you just want one. lol

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
haha, well, I've ran across a lot of times I needed an o-ring, instead of paying high prices for a tiny o-ring ?, just reach into my kit, match it up, done !..lol.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
haha, well, I've ran across a lot of times I needed an o-ring, instead of paying high prices for a tiny o-ring ?, just reach into my kit, match it up, done !..lol.
He's changing the oil and filter The Oil filter at Wal-mart comes with the O-ring just over 5 bucks for the filter and O-ring......SMH lol

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mother offered to pay for it this time since I'm staying with my grandmother, while my uncle goes to Tennessee for a truck, and I dont think she's going to walmart, while me and granny went to the store a few hours ago, I stopped by the local NAPA (right next to the store) and asked the guys if they had a filter, they said "The WIX filter we have is a better filter" I asked "How is it better than the factory filter?" The guy said "It has more material to filter with." Is this true? If it is I'll tell my mom to just stop by the NAPA and get it. $7.65. Just 5 miles from the house.

Moose I didnt wanna change the o rings I was just asking how much they were so if I did get em. And why I see guys changing them out all the time. Lol

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
My mother offered to pay for it this time since I'm staying with my grandmother, while my uncle goes to Tennessee for a truck, and I dont think she's going to walmart, while me and granny went to the store a few hours ago, I stopped by the local NAPA (right next to the store) and asked the guys if they had a filter, they said "The WIX filter we have is a better filter" I asked "How is it better than the factory filter?" The guy said "It has more material to filter with." Is this true? If it is I'll tell my mom to just stop by the NAPA and get it. $7.65. Just 5 miles from the house.

Moose I didnt wanna change the o rings I was just asking how much they were so if I did get em. And why I see guys changing them out all the time. Lol
unless the o-ring is flat ? ( the small one ), I don't change them out.

Reactions: jdp

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

unless the o-ring is flat ? ( the small one ), I don't change them out.
I wasn't going to but my point to this was to ask if the WIX filter witch the guys at my local NAPA had better filtration is any good in your opinion. for $7.65 I could save my mom an extra 15 miles to the dealer when she comes up tomarrow she can stop by the local NAPA and get it.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Yeah WIX is a good filter. And yeah, can't fix stuff without those o-ring kits. They are useful for much more than you'd guess... :)

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
No flack from me @shadetree I have a few different O ring sets from Aldi and Lidl stores, never had an issue with them.
If you guys do have the above stores, the power tools are made by Dewalt but labelled up for the stores own brands. All tools come with a 3 year warantee, never had an issue with any of them either. Worth a look for sure.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll tell her thanks Sam.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Just so you know JDP the Wix filter is shorter for some reason? I have one of those and a Fram in my shop if I can round it up I'll show you a picture. Keep that in mind. The Fram is Identical to the OEM. The NAPA dude was trying to make a sale, lol If you feel the need to purchase those particular O-rings separately you can buy singles from NAPA The small one is going to be 11mm x 1.9mm and the larger is 54mm x 2.4mm.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I bought 25-30 of the CH6015 Fram filters from our local Advance Auto. They were discontinuing selling them, my sales guy said I could get them for $2 each so I bought all they had in local distribution hub. They come with o-ring and look exactly like factory filter. I run them in all my bikes (Except Pioneer, its still under warranty) and have never had a problem.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
I bought 25-30 of the CH6015 Fram filters from our local Advance Auto. They were discontinuing selling them, my sales guy said I could get them for $2 each so I bought all they had in local distribution hub. They come with o-ring and look exactly like factory filter. I run them in all my bikes (Except Pioneer, its still under warranty) and have never had a problem.
don't want to risk them telling ya, that oil filter ruined your pioneer huh ??..hmmmmmmm...lol.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

don't want to risk them telling ya, that oil filter ruined your pioneer huh ??..hmmmmmmm...lol.

Not that, the pioneer has a oil filter and a filter for the trans. I️ had to go to dealer to get trans filter because nobody aftermarket makes it yet. I’ve seen the fram and oem side by side and there’s no difference. I’ve had good luck out of them but I️ change my oil regularly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts