Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my last oil change I rubbed oil off on my finger from the dip stick, and it felt good and clean. But I decided to change it today since my last oil change (2014), and I found it was all brown and broken down, I'm going back to my original schedule every 6 months. I'm embarrassed to say I let it go this far. A photo is here. :eek Yea no more 2nd hand advice for this guy. Lucky had no water in it. Synthetic oil does wonders I'm suprised it wasnt totally totally broken down. I caught it in time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
The worst oil i ever saw was from long oil change interval. Leaving oil in an engine that long period is a huge risk. At the very least i would change it once a year. Good news is you ride a honda. And i have seen first hand a honda motor run with zero oil for a few hours and just need a topend rebuild and a new oil pump. Everything else was in spec perfect. But i dont ever suggest playing with fire. My buddy got really lucky on that one.

Reactions: jdp

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yep that's what im gonna do is go back to my change interval of at least 6 months, I took some time off to take care of my cousin and it wanst ridden much since I left, except whenever I'd come back up to Branchland. Going back sunday to take care of my cousin, good to know I caught it in time. Got some time so I did that and even cleaned the garage for my uncle to sort stuff. It was a MESS. Now you can walk around it it and not stumble over stuff.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Im sure that will make your uncle happy! After all that work you deserve to go ride that honda lol!

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yip :D Sure is Lol.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I agree, a service interval of 6 mo would be good. At each service, I would change the air filter and differential oils as well.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I agree, a service interval of 6 mo would be good. At each service, I would change the air filter and differential oils as well.
Is there a way to get that air filter off without tearing it or crushing the fingers? I crush and pinch mine all the time, I wish they would put that top lip on the cage a little thinner so a man can slide the filter on.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
I remember having an issue trying to put that air filter on but after messing around with it I eventually got it on. I think? I must've had a couple (or 12ish) beers while doing so.

Infact, I should check my air filter tonight... Hopefully it's on there.

·
Registered
711 Posts
That's where I'm at, about every 4-6 months, depending on how much I ride.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I changed the rear diff oil after the air filter. I didn't have the Honda GL5 oil so I used CRC Sta-LUBE brand GL4 Hypoid 85-90W. :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
4 times a year for me, mostly because I ride at off-road parks in the mud and water etc. It's better to be safe than sorry IMO.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yip all done as of about 20 minutes ago im gonna say.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I change my oil at the very least 3 times a year and if run in a lot of hot weather with slow speed riding where on a air cooled motor runs even hotter, I change it twice in summer and I even run a manual fan.. I change rear diff 3-4 times of year and front once or twice depending on the amount of riding..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts