Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all atv fan's

I'm a newby at this , so please bear with me!! I have a 2006 rancher 4x4
auto trans fa? and I keep smelling oil burning. I stopped while engine running, took off
lid to oil fill and oil blew out really hard...why. I do change oil, and keep air
filter clean. Any help???

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I would start by looking for any leaks then i would check my crankcase vent isn't stopped up causing excessive base pressure.

Welcome to the Forums!!!

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Are you running the machine hard in the mud? Do you hit the rev limiter?

·
Registered
163 Posts
that reminds me i also have a 98 yamaha warrior that blows oil out the brether on the case when ran down the rode fast and rev high. any idea how to fix this? its bored out 1.00 over. lasttime i did that it seized winceo piston rings,both gaskets and a sparkplug. thought maybe bigger valves?

·
Registered
163 Posts
running open air box with k&n,dg full system exhaust.maybe its b.c. its a yamaha haha

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
When I do my 100 mile races my quad is bouncing off the limiter. This will cause oil to blow by. I thought I blew a head gasket one race..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you all so much, I'll check this out. Any other ideas feel free to comment. Love the icons, pretty funny. And p.s. I'm just an easy mellow rider, that mud and racing stuff........holy moly !!! But do go on some beautiful rides, Lots of wildlife !!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
If your running in a lot of dust, even with a good air filter, you may have worn rings. It may still have power but blowing oil. I just had to rebuild the top end on my wife's Kodiak 450 because the rings were gone. Heavy clouds of dust are an engines worst enemy, other than running it low on oil.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you all so much, I'll check this out. Any other ideas feel free to comment. Love the icons, pretty funny. And p.s. I'm just an easy mellow rider, that mud and racing stuff........holy moly !!! But do go on some beautiful rides, Lots of wildlife !!!
Welcome to the forum! Also check your compression, does it start hard? Low compression could mean your rings are bad and creating a lot of blow by past your rings of the piston which then would preasurize your crankcase and puking out oil through your breather tube.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check the oil level with the engine off and the atv sitting on a level surface. Too much oil can cause a problem too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Generally speaking the case of the engine is not hot enough to burn oil, however the exhaust is so I would look for oil leaking on the exhaust. as far as your question every time the piston goes up in the cylinder a vacuum is created in the crankcase and ever time the piston goes down excessive pressure is created, now every engine has some amount of leakage by the rings which creates more pressure in the crankcase, when you took out the oil fill plug you would have oil shooting out due to the pressures explained above. In addition there is a lot of oil being slung around in the crankcase as there are a lot of moving parts being oiled and this creates a mist of oil and when you gave the pressure an easier escape (ie the oil plug) it took it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
check that the air filter oil, spealcy if its thick like honey like Uni filter Oil, has not driped down into the crank case filter and gumed it up once dirty. that could be it. Im sure you have looked this over tho. good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a honda 300 and put to much oil in the rearend and oil was blowing out the vent lines under the gas tank...only happen at a high speeds..have you added or changed the diff oil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts