Honda ATV Forum banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I jumped from the first few posts to the last few posts so forgive me if this has been suggested already. I have a huge mole problem....huge! I heard that they thrive on grubs, mole crickets etc. If you take away their food source they leave. Last week I bought some granules that kills grubs etc. I put it on heavy and watered it in well for several days ( the granules don't soak in well). I will let you guys know how it turns out. I needed grubs gone anyway because they destroy the grass worse than the moles.

·
Premium Member
12,368 Posts
Something that kills grubs could be good for me , I have an armadillo problem , they eat grubs , if the grubs were gone they might not come , I know I have bou-cou grubs cause ever time I dig in the yard I find many of them

here is a pic of my zero turn hitch , use it to pull a lawn sweeper for leaves

Attachments

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Yep i had a mole problem this year... I'm not sure of what all (grubs forsure) types of insects they feed on .... Just a thought ... I believe this is the year cicada bugs come out.... Maybe the reason i had two big healthy (6 inches long) moles ripping up my lawn .... I tryed mothballs, traps , mint sprey .... Finally pulled out the b---h 870 super mag .... Erased them both. My thinking ..... ? The mole problem around here might be because of the cicada bugs ? I've seen a few crawling on the ground still in their nymph exoskeleton, i believe the time for them is every 2-17 years ? Been along time sense I've seen moles this bad!

I'm not sure what states they live ? But For sure in the southeast.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,368 Posts
I never seen them cicada bugs around here before , seen some freaky spiders this year , one is flouresent green and horny on his back , looks like a crab shell ---them grubs I speak of a re white with a orange head and make great perch bait

·
Premium Member
12,368 Posts
Yea , great bait around here , I have caught a half dozen perch on one grub , all that will be left is the skin , like a empty sock ----I was at the bait shop yesterday , crickets are $5 a hundred was thinking about letting 100 go inside my buddy's truck , $5 well spent

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Something that kills grubs could be good for me , I have an armadillo problem , they eat grubs , if the grubs were gone they might not come , I know I have bou-cou grubs cause ever time I dig in the yard I find many of them

here is a pic of my zero turn hitch , use it to pull a lawn sweeper for leaves
I bought 6 20lb. bags of grub killer (can't remember the exact name) made by Nitro Phos. About $105 after tax. It's been about five days now. It seems the mole activity is less already........maybe it's just wishful thinking.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
i snapped a 3/8 marine rope. them branches had about a 1foot of grass holding them down. the exmark went up in the front trying to break free from the grass. three times with the marine rope, then it snapped.
it three times with the fish rope also. this time i didnt let it drop so hard, and used the weight of the exmark to pull on the limbs. i only let it go up bout 1.5 feet, those six time's.
the husquvarna, show a picture of it too.
Glad that marine rope broke close to the machine. it might have smarted a bit, had it hit me. :devil
dont know why the rope looks yeller, it aint quite white, but definitely not yellow. :wink

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)
Moles feed on grubs, they also feed on worm's. i didn't have this problem, till i planted a night crawler nests in the ground. plenty of grub's in the ground, already.... sweet meat i guess.
i am willing to inject the propane into the ground, and ignite it on occasion. i'm way over due. hauling the tank around, havent got my atv running,yet, besides, i dont want to have to hold the tank up, with my leg, when she is running.
hope i dont take down too many trees when i get started.. anybody play golf here.. the thing ya put the golf clubs on, to get around the course, when ya play golf. ,not a golf cart, that takes a battery. the other thing, what is that called, it's takes a caddy, to pull it, round the course, if walking, an ya want to pay... i want one to haul the propane tank, stead of clubs, an a caddy, but the 2 wheel type dolly.
i think, playing golf, ya should haul your own clubs, gives ya a better respect, for the game..
the first mole tunnel, is not the one to dump the propane into. ya have to go to the one underneath. the one on top, is the surface tunnel, it does little good. when ya find the one underneath, that is where the propane goes. it runs bout a foot or so deeper. i know this from probing the ground. it might be two tunnels deeper. just when ya think ya find the one ya want, usually 4-6' deeper, ya find the main one, another foot down.
thats the one, i want to gas, or blast mole's... my heart is set on it..

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
I never seen them cicada bugs around here before , seen some freaky spiders this year , one is flouresent green and horny on his back , looks like a crab shell ---them grubs I speak of a re white with a orange head and make great perch bait
down town Louisville, in one area, the whole section sings, day an night.. enough to wear ear plugs..
think it was in the Cherokee triangle.. cidaca's
there is an ant looking crawler, ah seen the right picture, on the net, to show you. some call them velvet ant's, others cow killers. if a horse steps on one, might loose a hoof, so i guess horse killer might come to mind. once i found out they could hurt hooved animals, ever time i seen one, i made a point of killing it. the ones i seen were red an black, 3/4" long or so. and when i killed them, yuo could see that stinger, going in and out. i was close near long as the ant.. rather step on a 16 penny nail, then one of those. and i have, right in the arch. i were sore for a while. whats worst, i left the 2x4, with the nails up. i know better than this, from framing houses, an un-common sense.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Yea , great bait around here , I have caught a half dozen perch on one grub , all that will be left is the skin , like a empty sock ----I was at the bait shop yesterday , crickets are $5 a hundred was thinking about letting 100 go inside my buddy's truck , $5 well spent
WOW!! and how does E get even.. ya aint never said nothing bout you getting the receiving end, yet..
my brother, got his girl's some small lizards. guess what they eat. anyway some of the crickets got loose, and made a family, or something. over 6mts, at me mom's house, to get rid of those noisy varmints.. they were the little crickets, breed worst than rabbits, or cat's in the house. remember i said once, my sister had 42 cats.
so much ammonia, uncleaned litter box smell, in that house. even one cat that liked to take a leak, on the stove burners. didnt matter if they were off, or on.
i didnt eat much over there. between the cat hair, an the smell. +, never know whats been sprayed, over there.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
while looking up; bleach + ammonia.. i got some interesting facts.. when mixed, they form chlorine, or chlormine gas. its 2.5 times heaver than air. it was used in WW1, i think they called it mustard gas. then during the break down, hydrocloric acid, gas.. i dont want to put too much into the mole holes, they are back, and there is more of them.. i dont want to put too much in the mole tunnel, because i found out, some of that mixing, can be explosive..
wish i knew that when i was a kid.. i got in some trouble with, potassium, sulfur, an charcoal..; on the side, i were 12, and i wasnt trying to make it explode.
the sulfur, would still be burning some, an a few of those burning balls, bounced out of the ashtray on my mum's new kitchen table.. its a wonder she didn't blister my hide..
maybe i should just stick with bleach. i done ruled out propane and gas.. //ed

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
anybody here that has studied chemistry?

·
Premium Member
12,368 Posts
I had a science class , where we mixed all kinds of stuff up to check out the reactions , but I am not a chemist by any measures , other than mixing up a Margarita ------ I seen a video of a guy doing the propane in the mole holes on u-tube , pretty cool , he was blowing up is yard , it is funny , big booms and dirt flying , the moles would have a chance

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #115 (Edited)
i said moles, and was thinking grounds hogs.., though i thing it could work as well.. that would take out the fun i have planned for the moles, using propane.. the grounds hogs, woodchucks, whistle pigs, [them varmints got many names], tunneled under my 2 story shed.. i dont want to use propane under there.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #117

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
ah still aint figured this site out.. maybe in a couple ah years.. hence a picture in one post, an my words in another..
anyway the shed has got 940 sq. ft., including the loft part.
them groundhogs are underneath it.. i gotta be sum careful what i do.. fume wise. i plan on spending time in it, when things get settled, and i dont need something that is close to mustard gas from WW1.. that shed dont look like that now, it was the only picture i could find..

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
What about pool chlorine or bleach down their holes then add water , that should flush them out
i got a pie pan half filled with bleach sitting in one hole. i just cant add ammonia to it.. thats where you come in, more or less. mostly less.. i been doing research, seems like ammonia is the trick. kitty litter.. just poor it in their holes.. they cant stand the smell, no more then most people can. i also found out lime, the agricultural kind, burns their feet. maybe like lye.. ya can put that in the tunnel holes, that ya can find....
chili powder on the way soon.
not like the rattle snake eggs i will send later.. dont worry, they are flat.. //ed

101 - 119 of 119 Posts