Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I know how the 60mm locknut comes off but I have 2 more questions.

1- how does everyone get the pinion gear out? Do you just tap it out with a brass punch from the back side?

2- why does everyone take the smaller nut off before taking the pinion out? Why not wait till the pinion gear is out and hold the drive shaft coupler with something?

I haven't taken the pinion gear out of the 300 yet so I don't know what the best way is. ...

·
Premium Member
12,683 Posts
I built two special tools for your two questions , first is a pinion holder , it is a piece of drive shaft weld to a plate , the splines of the drive shaft holds the pinion and the plate screws onto the diff housing , this allows you to take off the nut , then a threaded nut welded to a slide hammer adaptor allows you to pull the pinion out the housing

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
You can tap the pinion out with a brass drift, tap it, turn it a little, tap it, turn it. And so on. To remove the bearing drill the case with something like a 1/4" drill so you can get a drift in and knock it out. Plenty of youtube vids showing this. Crude, but effective.

·
Premium Member
12,683 Posts
personally I have found that drilling a hole thru the case and trying to punch the bearing race of the pinion out doesn't work well most of the time , the bottom of the race blows out when you hit it and then you have nothing to hit on , the easiest way I found , I weld a bolt into the race and use a slide hammer to get it out --------

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
@fishfiles

yep, it knocks the bottom out the race, but at least it releases it a little making it easier to knock out. I don't really like doing it to be honest, it butchers the casing and doesn't look good.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info but I know how to get the bearings out. I was just inquiring about the pinion shaft and the little pinion shaft nut.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.... if you know how to do , then why ask ? ------ like you put " yet another pinion question " !
Did I ask how to take the pinion bearing out? Or just the shaft and nut off?

Are you just trying to get your post count up by adding info. It's like when I asked a question about the super atv caliper and someone went onto explaining how they couldn't remember if there's had a spring or not. After all this he ended it with mines a high lifter kit anyways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.