Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It occurred to me today just how loud my 300 is compared to my supervisors 420!
I'm assuming all of the sound deadening has blown out of the silencer over the years and I'm left with a hollow booming rear can!.
Is it possible to re-pack the stock exhaust or is it a waste of time?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yours must be gone, because mine is really subdued. I can drive in the field around our horses and cows, and they barely pay any attention.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
i have in the past, sliced the rear end off them, and pulled the spark arrester out. but they have to be pretty much gutted from that back ?, otherwise you will have a hard time getting the spark arrester out even after slicing the end off around on the weld bead. IF yours is like this ? ( and there is no way of knowing without opening it up huh ?!..lol ), you can pull it out, and re-pack it with something to ease the sound, maybe make a better spark arrester ?, muffler packing ?, all depends on which way you want to tackle it ?. but I've cut them open, just to clean all the loose parts, and re-weld the spark arrester back on, and they still sounded normal to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm.. Sounds like it could be 'one of those jobs'! I'll look out for a second hand replacement I think. Are there any aftermarket options?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Kimpex and one other company that I can't recall makes an "oem replacement". I see them on ebay all the time. Not sure about the options to buy one of them across the pond though.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Kimpex and one other company that I can't recall makes an "oem replacement". I see them on ebay all the time. Not sure about the options to buy one of them across the pond though.
your prob thinking of cobra ?, they make an after market muffler.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Yes, the difficulty is funded stockists of aftermarket parts over here, a majority of the ATV's that are tuned are mostly sports/racing types.
Does the 300 exhaust system have any baffles in to add back pressure at all? Just thinking of it doesn't I could get any aftermarket rear can that fitted really.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
That's the one!
Cobra doesn't make ATV exhausts anymore I don't think.

armor tech does a full exhaust, MBRP does a slip on, Kimpex does a slip on, there are others...

·
Registered
89 Posts
That's the one!
Cobra doesn't make ATV exhausts anymore I don't think.

armor tech does a full exhaust, MBRP does a slip on, Kimpex does a slip on, there are others...
You're right. Armor Tech are the ones I see on ebay all the time now. Just looked it up. My BIL has a cobra on his mud-300, probably where I got that from.

Sam, if you want to be able to fine-tune it, just go balls out and get the SuperTrapp. I have it on my bike and love it.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would mike but it's the shipping that kills it for me, not only do I have to pay shipping I then have to pay import duty/tax when it comes into the country.
Kinda sucks to be honest!
The only way around it is if the parcel is sent as a gift.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I would mike but it's the shipping that kills it for me, not only do I have to pay shipping I then have to pay import duty/tax when it comes into the country.
Sounds like cutting the end off and repacking is the the easiest, fastest and cheapest option you have.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like cutting the end off and repacking is the the easiest, fastest and cheapest option you have.
It certainly does seem that way. I'll wait a while, a second hand one may turn up. I'll wear ear plugs for now :laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Don't a lot of guys weld on tractor mufflers from tractor supply on 300's?

I'm sure there are no TSC in the UK, but I'll bet tractor mufflers are cheaper than ATV parts.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
What's your shipping address? IF shipping isn't crazy, you can have my stock 300 exhaust, ( which is quiet ) but you just pay the shipping. I'm about ready to toss it in the metal bin...

Reactions: shadetree

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! Thanks wheeler, I'll PM you.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
What's your shipping address? IF shipping isn't crazy, you can have my stock 300 exhaust, ( which is quiet ) but you just pay the shipping. I'm about ready to toss it in the metal bin...
Very cool move. Hopefully shipping won't be outrageous.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Very cool move. Hopefully shipping won't be outrageous.
see what you started ?!..lol. you giving me those parts for my project ?, and me offering parts to members, and they pay shipping, and now it seems a few members are jumping on board to do the same !, this is why I love to pay it forward !!!, it's people like this that makes me love this forum !.

Reactions: Jeepwm69
1 - 20 of 21 Posts