Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was plowing about 3 feet of wet snow for about 3 hours straight...The old girl quit a couple of times (low idle anyway, so I didnt think much of it) but no hot oil light yet. I decide to quit for the night and just as I was about to shut the thing down, oil light lights up for a second, but goes back off. Again, I didnt think much of it. In fact I thought I had shut it down just in time. Next evening she will not start. I have to kick start it anyway, but when I go to kick, there is little to no resistance from the crankcase, even when compression release is NOT engaged. I'm preparing to tear into it and see what may be apparent (faulty compression release or the like). I am a total noob to atvs (and respective forums also, in fact) so any recommendations, warnings or good selection of funeral songs would greatly be appreciated. This has been an excellent atv up to this point, I hate to send her out to pasture!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Are you sure the engine is even turning over? Sounds like your one-way clutch bearing is going out. This will keep the kicker from turning the engine over. Pull your spark plug out and then try to turn the engine over with the kicker while looking down in the spark plug hole with a light. If you see the piston moving up and down, then you obviously have no compression and will have to tear the engine down to find the problem. If the piston is not moving, then I would say that it is the one-way clutch bearing. If it is the one-way clutch bearing, sometimes you can keep kicking it and after a few minutes, it will catch and turn the engine over. Also, make sure you are full on oil. This may not be your problem, but is worth checking out before you tear it down. If the oil light came on, you probably did have it hot, but the one-way clutch bearing may have just happened to go out at the same time.

·
Registered
152 Posts
kicker

I have a trx250x, ran into the same issue. I finally bit the bullet and decided to tear into the engine. I removed the rocker cover, and found my timming chain jumped off gears. Sooo, I picked up a new DID super heavy duty chain from East Coast ATV, and installed. This was also requiring an oil drainage, kicker/clutch cover removal, clutch removal, and oil pump removal. LOTS OF FUN!!!! While I was in there I installed a new clutch assembly. I reassembled all and she purs like a kitten on steriods. I've learned alot with this rebuilder quad. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK guys, thanks for the advice..I was hoping to hear something like....'Aw shucks, no problem, take the compression release cover off, re-attach the whatchamacallit and youre good to go.' I have never tore into one, but, hey, what better way to learn than to just do it? It may be a while but I will try to let you guys know how it turned out.....Later...

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
OK guys, thanks for the advice..I was hoping to hear something like....'Aw shucks, no problem, take the compression release cover off, re-attach the whatchamacallit and youre good to go.' I have never tore into one, but, hey, what better way to learn than to just do it? It may be a while but I will try to let you guys know how it turned out.....Later...
Good luck, feel free to ask questions along the way...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you sure the engine is even turning over? Sounds like your one-way clutch bearing is going out. This will keep the kicker from turning the engine over. Pull your spark plug out and then try to turn the engine over with the kicker while looking down in the spark plug hole with a light. If you see the piston moving up and down, then you obviously have no compression and will have to tear the engine down to find the problem. If the piston is not moving, then I would say that it is the one-way clutch bearing. If it is the one-way clutch bearing, sometimes you can keep kicking it and after a few minutes, it will catch and turn the engine over. Also, make sure you are full on oil. This may not be your problem, but is worth checking out before you tear it down. If the oil light came on, you probably did have it hot, but the one-way clutch bearing may have just happened to go out at the same time.

I’m having the same issue my electric start will move the piston but the kick start will not and I have no compression. Could it be the bearing? It was running perfect and then died and now it’s getting spark and fuel but no compression

1 - 7 of 7 Posts