Honda ATV Forum banner

No spark

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Dakota Boisen 
#1 ·
Hi. I am new to atvs and I just bought a 1986 trx200sx. It has no spark. I already ohmd out the coil and it checks out good. I am getting roughly 100 volts to the coil. Does this sound like what I should be getting?

#2 ·
I would follow the diagnostic flowchart in the ignition system section of the service manual.

Check the wiring harness out first. If it has dirty/corroded connectors clean them all up real good. The harness must be in good condition, no hacks or splices anywhere. Take your time on it... its old, chances are that it needs some attention.

Then check the fuse, the ignition switch, the neutral switch and the kill switch before going any deeper. Those checks are in the service manual as well.

Let us know how it goes and welcome to the forums!
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1R2LvoKAdoSudr2z_Tefdk2sYrTL3BPYS

#4 ·
330 ohms is borderline... Whether it needs replaced or not is your call. I had a hunch last night after I posted that you'd find that the pulse gen had failed. Weird how intuition works isn't it.... :)

Check the ground cable connection where it bolts to the motor and verify that the frame ground is good and clean too, then measure again before buying anything. Also OEM parts only... even in cases where all you can find are used OEM parts. The china knockoffs are all garbage. You'll either buy OEM or you won't ride it.

Have fun! Let us know how it goes if you can.

#5 ·
You didn't mention what the exciter winding ohm'ed out at..? Did it measure good? Not shorted?

You probably know this already but I'll mention it anyway... if you replace the pulse gen make sure it bolts down squarely and properly located. There should be a gap of about .008" to .010" or so, between the pole of the pulse gen and the triggering attachment on the flywheel as it passes the pulse gen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.