Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 Honda Fourtrax 300 that has the symptoms of no power but tested the battery with voltmeter and had over 12 volts. Dash lights dont work no spark found a fuze blown ( 1.5a in battery box) no change after replacement. Where should i go from here. Like i said good battery brand new Rick's cdi. Kill switch has been bypassed

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
What was the exact voltage taken from the battery? Did it work properly before fitting the new CDI? Have you checked the harness for breaks, cuts, damage etc? Is the ignition in good working order? Dash light bulbs are good?
Lots to work through and lots to report back with :)

Welcome to the forums buddy

Reactions: _Wilson_

· Premium Member
12,712 Posts
Testing a battery with a volt meter doesn't prove it good , a battery needs to be load tested ---- Rick's CDI = they have a lot of fakes out there , where did you get it from , how much did you pay ? --- something made that fuse blow and it doesn't blow it now I think I would check all the electric plugs for corrosion , discoloration of the terminals ----- the wires for your kill switch by-pass may have got corroded or came undone

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
@fishfiles raised a very good point above that I missed! Rick's DOESNT sell on eBay or Amazon, only from his website, email or phonecall. If it's eBay etc it's fake, 100% and unfortunately that could well be your issue.

Edit: A good battery should read between 12.7 and 13.2 volts on an ammeter.

Reactions: _Wilson_

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Battery read 12 .9 i got the cdi from Amazon for $81 i think. Connectors look good dash lights worked before ran a few times kick-starting it before it quit. Maybe the voltage regulator?

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
All I can advise it to cut your losses now, throw away any parts bought from Amazon or non reputable companies and buy OEM, used OEM or from a reputable company or seller.
Until you swap the China parts for known brands or known good used parts none of us are able to tell what the issue is unfortunately.
There are so many threads here where people have fitted Amazon or eBay China parts and kept chasing issues and replacing with China parts, usually the issue is the first couple of parts they fitted.

You'll get a good used ignition switch from powersportsnation.com and a proper Rick's CDI from ricksmotorsportelectrics.com

Reactions: Goober

· Premium Member
5,683 Posts
How can Amazon sell what they claim as a Rick's cdi? Should we do something about it or is there anything to do? $81 for a knock off cdi is ridiculous

Let’s start at the battery. Your TRX300 should have two fuzes. What color of wires have the fuse you replaced?
One set has red in it—that’s the ignition circuit
The other has pink—that’s the accessory circuit

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
How can Amazon sell what they claim as a Rick's cdi? Should we do something about it or is there anything to do? $81 for a knock off cdi is ridiculous

answer: AMAZON SELLS ABOUT 99.99% CHINA JUNK !!. why do you think its cheaper to buy from them than from honda ?????. IF FOLKS WOULD STOP BUYING FROM AMAZON FOR CHEAP CHINA PARTS ?..THEN MAYBE...JUST MAYBE..THEY WOULD STOP SELLING JUNK ??!. but we all know..someone...some where..will take the CHEAP way out, and buy their crap !!. all they think about is saving a few bucks..they dont care about the product !!!!. now..i will agree...SOME PARTS MIND YOU !!..IS OK TO BUY CHINA, spec when honda themselves sells china parts..IN A HONDA BAG ! ( yes...even honda sells china parts today ). some parts...MUST BE FROM HONDA !!!!.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.