Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. A Bill in Georgia just went to the Governors desk for him to sign BANNING Atvs from riding in streams. You are only allowed to cross the stream in one direct path from one side to the other. Something to do with conservative nature people saying the ego systems are being destroyed.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Good thing they don't pass that here.. we have a few crossings that you go down into the water and downstream a ways before you can back up..

·
Registered
383 Posts
there worried about atvs through streams lmfao.what about all these oil spills i think id be more concerned about that.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
yes there is far worse things. they need to try and cut down on people dumping things in water bodies. you would not believe some of the things they find in some of the lakes not to mention all the trash.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I can understand that bill. When quads are travelling down a stream, it is causing ruts and removing rocks and everything else thus destroying the habitat of living animals in the stream. Of course there are times when you have no choice but to travel the stream a bit but I have seen plenty of people who just ride the rivers/streams just cause they want to. I'm one of those people who will go nuts on a person for leaving the trails.

It is these idiots that get my trails closed here in Colorado. People can't ride on the exsisting trails, they have to try and climb anything and everything off to the sides.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
i could see that side of it, good thing about the place i ride is either its on my own land or its a place that is intended for off roading use and nobody cares.

but i guess they can have that bill cause they also have the one where slower traffic MUST move to the right on the roads.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If it wasn't for jagoffs doing stupid stuff we wouldn't need half the laws we have now, but common sense is in short supply with some people.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I can understand that bill. When quads are travelling down a stream, it is causing ruts and removing rocks and everything else thus destroying the habitat of living animals in the stream. Of course there are times when you have no choice but to travel the stream a bit but I have seen plenty of people who just ride the rivers/streams just cause they want to. I'm one of those people who will go nuts on a person for leaving the trails.

It is these idiots that get my trails closed here in Colorado. People can't ride on the exsisting trails, they have to try and climb anything and everything off to the sides.
Yeah I can understand that part as well.. and in my case the crossing I have to go downstream to cross is actually a solid rock bottom, no mud or anything. and its on private property.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
If it's private property... screw off government!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If it's private property... screw off government!
I agree, that's why I dump all my sewage on the ground. It's my land, so it doesn't hurt anyone else. :shocked:

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
NO, they will just make every river, stream, and lake a no wake zone! lol

·
Registered
383 Posts
if theres a designated trail i agree stay on it.lucky enought they made one unlike some countys you cant even ride on dirt rds(st clair county michigan).they found out around the bermuda triangle where all the currents cross is a massive plastic graveyard.all kinds of stuff there and plastic shavings definately not good.

·
Registered
74 Posts

As much as i agree to this, i sort of disagree at the same time.

Yes there are a lot of ignorant people who go around just destroying things on their bike just for laughs and such. Then there are people who enjoy just going on an adventure may it be up a brook or off a trail threw some where's that looks as i may be an old trail or one they could create.

I my self am guilty for this. I love adventures, one of the reasons i have a bike sometimes i go off trails and just try to create my own just for fun, see it it works. i have also played around in a brook once or twice. Lucky for me most of the trails around here are hidden / no mounties or cops travel on them so you have less to worry about.

When it comes down to it i guess its all about what your intentions were while leaving a trail or going up a stream or brook.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'm going to speculate that they just one day didn't decide to create the law. What happened was that some tool, or a parade of tools, was abusing the land to the detriment of everyone else, so they had to act.

One person usually always screws it up for the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

As much as i agree to this, i sort of disagree at the same time.

Yes there are a lot of ignorant people who go around just destroying things on their bike just for laughs and such. Then there are people who enjoy just going on an adventure may it be up a brook or off a trail threw some where's that looks as i may be an old trail or one they could create.

I my self am guilty for this. I love adventures, one of the reasons i have a bike sometimes i go off trails and just try to create my own just for fun, see it it works. i have also played around in a brook once or twice. Lucky for me most of the trails around here are hidden / no mounties or cops travel on them so you have less to worry about.

When it comes down to it i guess its all about what your intentions were while leaving a trail or going up a stream or brook.
:stupid: .

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts

Then there are people who enjoy just going on an adventure may it be up a brook or off a trail threw some where's that looks as i may be an old trail or one they could create.

I my self am guilty for this. I love adventures, one of the reasons i have a bike sometimes i go off trails and just try to create my own just for fun, see it it works. i have also played around in a brook once or twice.
That is exactly what get's trails closed. They could just say there is no riding in the mountains(and the rangers are plentiful) and everyone would be screwed. But instead, Colorado opens up numerous trails every year and closes old ones for regrowth. If you get caught on a closed one your vehicle will be impounded. I have absolutely no problem turning people in for riding through mud bogs they shouldn't or making their own trails. That is the stuff that gets public land closed. In the past 5 years I have seen 2 of my favorite riding places get shut down because people can't stay on the trail.

I have stopped and screamed at people for doing such, I have even followed a group of quads after we got pictures of them "making a new trail" and turned them into the first ranger I saw. I will be damned if I'm going to let some moron who can't follow rules get my riding areas closed.

If you want to make new trails, buy your own land.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts