Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An old 80? 250 Fourtrax, manual gear change, 2 wheel drive, owned for last 20 years with occasional use. Grandchildren were playing with the switches and suddenly no lights, indicators or panel lights - yet it starts and drives using the pull cord (after guessing where neutral is) - only the "kill switch" appears to have any effect. Battery and its 20 amp fuse are good. Cannot find any obvious breaks in wires, cannot find any possible 15 amp glass fuses that are shown in some diagrams. Would appreciate any ideas on cause or suggestions for a systematic deduction of problem, riding the field by torch light is not my best idea :( . thanking you all in anticipation
Bampy (Wales)

·
Super Moderator
37,577 Posts
if that is an old trx250 fourtrax ?, it does not have a pull cord !!, all of those models are kick start and electric start only back then, only pull starts on a trx250 is the trx250 recon, and those are not made back in the '80's !. if you have a old school trx250 fourtrax, check the fuses under front cap lid, right under the handle bars in the front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply Shadetree, glad for heads up regard pull start - prob why i was following incorrect wire diagram (stickers with model number etc have deteriorated with age and the elements - I'll give it a scrub to see if I've missed some). Quad had a "road ready" adaption - I'll have to muscle up and take off some of the fittings to get under that panel. A bit cheeky to ask what that fuse box might look like? But again thanks for pointing me in correct direction.
Bampy (Wales)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks once again -taken some photos of the electrical blocks under the front cowling and identifying them 1 by 1. Unfortunately circumstances in UK mean other activities take a priority but I'll get there in the end. Best wishes to you and your family and friends, stay safe in these most unusual times.

·
Super Moderator
37,577 Posts
ty, glad to help you, be safe bro !. get stumped , if ya dont get an answer here from me ?, you can find me here as well --> www.atvhonda.com .

·
Super Moderator
37,577 Posts
Thanks for reply Shadetree, glad for heads up regard pull start - prob why i was following incorrect wire diagram (stickers with model number etc have deteriorated with age and the elements - I'll give it a scrub to see if I've missed some). Quad had a "road ready" adaption - I'll have to muscle up and take off some of the fittings to get under that panel. A bit cheeky to ask what that fuse box might look like? But again thanks for pointing me in correct direction.
Bampy (Wales)
the gray or black ( depends on what model you have ? ) plastic shroud that has a lid that opens up under the handle bars right in front, once open, you can see a couple glass fuses inside there, check them, see if they are blown ?. one of these operates the lights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts