Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased an 86 Fourtrax 250 off craiglist for $200. It’s jacked up but owner said it was running 6 months ago - showed me a video.
I have very little experience with ATVs - I got a Suzuki king quad running after a lot of help but it wasn’t in near as bad of shape. Then I “
61530C26-C467-4FF0-8A74-B2F10F07B111.jpeg
got the ATV bug” and went out and made a silly purchase. Live and learn.

1) no key (gotta use screwdriver) - hope it isn’t stolen but it’s a done deal now. the neutral light shines green when turned on. the ignition parts I see online for this atv - is it as easy as removing old one and inserting new? I know it’ll take a while to install but I’d like a key.
2) no electric start - can this be purchased? Did ALL models come with an electric start? And is it hard for a layman to install? I’ve seen other 250s with electric starts. This machine has no right brake handle - nothing is there.
3) when I used the kick starter there was a noise either inside the engine or near the starter (starter is bad by the way). Noise was at the end of the kick start cycle and was grinding... like metal grinding. Compression sounded okay.
4) carb looks Chinese - he didn’t have original carb. I haven’t taken it off yet to inspect. I think I’m decent at carb rebuilds per the king quad.

this will be a larger project - may have to ditch it - wanted a Honda due to reliability and I know it’s 25 years old. will be changing plug, motor oil/filter and gear oil in back soon. Oil was black when viewed.

where would you start? Any advice / direction is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
correction on the start button - it does have one on left side - once get ignition switch operable again will give it a push
looks like ants got into brake fluid compartment - nasty

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
37,162 Posts
first thing I see is that carb is not the oem carb that belongs on it !!!. yes, I know you said its after market ?, but not only is it after market maybe ?, but it is the WRONG CARB !. yu''ll find better help here ---> www.atvhonda.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts