Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I grew up riding dirt bikes and got away from them. I just bought a '18 TRX250M for use around the farm. The G/f is a city girl when it comes to mechanical things. She has to reach down to get the 250 in gear to pull the manure spreader. Please recommend a hand shifter I can put on it for her.

Next big issue. I bought what I think is a '04 TRX500FA 4x4. To say it has issues is an understatement. it's going to be a "project". It was "locked up" when I got it. It now appears after a friend has been "tinkering on it" it has issues with the starter/pull starter. He removed the manual pull start and starter, then we got it to turn over after I built a tool to turn it from the rear of the engine by hand. Then it was able to crank with the electric starter, but would lock up at times when trying to crank it. I think there's something wrong between the starter and flywheel.

I've tried to download a manual from this site and cannot figure out how to do it.

The 500 needs a "few" parts...Both front brake calipers are missing, the lines are still there. Both front axles are missing. Both brake cables for the rear brakes are cut. Left hand brake lever and bracket are broke. The what I guess is the pull cable that turns the front driveshaft on to the front diff is seized. The seat tabs are broken and it needs a new seat. It has a rattle in the bottom end, but doesn't sound like a knock, we're guessing it's the starter drive parts banging around.

The upside it runs pretty damn good and doesn't smoke, and seems to shift OK.

I'd love to get an operators manual, service manual and parts for it. I understand the D1-D2-N-R shift lever, but what the heck is that round selector switch with D1-D2-ESP beside the fuel tank do.

Next issue is where to get parts without breaking the bank or selling a horse to pay for it?

I'm in Eastern,NC BTW.

Floyd

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Let's start with the service manual download. Are you able to click the link for the 2001-2004 here?: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/...NRjVadWNVLW16ZDQ/0B_TKSTsdx3KNbkZSb20yM2NlU0U

For hand shifters... Before providing you links to products... What kind of shoe or boot is she wearing? because in my experience, usually what is perceived as a lack of strength is usually the result of a flimsy shoe or boot not being thick enough to do it without hurting the foot.

But here are some links to hand shifters anyway:
https://www.hondaesshifter.com/store/
https://www.motosport.com/moose-universal-hand-shifter
Honda ATV Shifters | ATV Hand Shifters | PSEP.biz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's female AND an actual engineer....she knows it all and I've tried to show her repeatedly how to shift gears. She wears "muck" or "Paddock boots", it's a mute point, she will not conform, "to resist is futile" (spoken in Star Trek Voice, Seven of Nine)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
She's female AND an actual engineer....she knows it all and I've tried to show her repeatedly how to shift gears. She wears "muck" or "Paddock boots", it's a mute point, she will not conform, "to resist is futile" (spoken in Star Trek Voice, Seven of Nine)
Haha, well I'm an actual engineer too so I can empathize with you.

If you still can't figure out how to download the service manuals, task that engineer with it: http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forum...ads.html#/forumsite/21330/topics/50817?page=1

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
I grew up riding dirt bikes and got away from them. I just bought a '18 TRX250M for use around the farm. The G/f is a city girl when it comes to mechanical things. She has to reach down to get the 250 in gear to pull the manure spreader. Please recommend a hand shifter I can put on it for her.

Next big issue. I bought what I think is a '04 TRX500FA 4x4. To say it has issues is an understatement. it's going to be a "project". It was "locked up" when I got it. It now appears after a friend has been "tinkering on it" it has issues with the starter/pull starter. He removed the manual pull start and starter, then we got it to turn over after I built a tool to turn it from the rear of the engine by hand. Then it was able to crank with the electric starter, but would lock up at times when trying to crank it. I think there's something wrong between the starter and flywheel.

I've tried to download a manual from this site and cannot figure out how to do it.

The 500 needs a "few" parts...Both front brake calipers are missing, the lines are still there. Both front axles are missing. Both brake cables for the rear brakes are cut. Left hand brake lever and bracket are broke. The what I guess is the pull cable that turns the front driveshaft on to the front diff is seized. The seat tabs are broken and it needs a new seat. It has a rattle in the bottom end, but doesn't sound like a knock, we're guessing it's the starter drive parts banging around.

The upside it runs pretty damn good and doesn't smoke, and seems to shift OK.

I'd love to get an operators manual, service manual and parts for it. I understand the D1-D2-N-R shift lever, but what the heck is that round selector switch with D1-D2-ESP beside the fuel tank do.

Next issue is where to get parts without breaking the bank or selling a horse to pay for it?

I'm in Eastern,NC BTW.

Floyd
D1/D2/ESP. IIRC D1 automatic is for road riding, D2 automatic is for work, ESP allows you to manually shift 1-5 using the buttons on the left handlebar.

If you're missing brake components on the front, ditch them and swap in later model Foreman disc brakes. 05-11 Foreman, 05-14 Rubicon, and 06-present Rincon knuckles, calipers, and hub/rotors will bolt on at the balljoints.

Powersportsnation has good used parts. Check on ebay first as sometimes PSN is cheap and sometimes they aren't. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy brand new that used (Honda East Toledo is cheapest place to buy new parts).

PSN does stand behind what they sell, so with used ATV parts that a big plus.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Found another shifter option for you. This would be better than a hand shifter, IMO. Because I'm guessing that pulling up to shift was her only issue. With this, push down on the rear portion to shift up, and push down on the forward portion to shift down. Just like some cruisers.

Honda TRX 250 Recon Heel to Toe Gear Shift Lever - G&H Discount ATV Supply

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
foot shifter

i have seen a rocker foot shifter to where you use your toe and heel, or even just your toe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts