Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would join this knowledgeable group to find an answer.
I have a 1990 Fourtrax 300 TRX300FW that is lightly used and never abused.
In the past 3 or 4 years, I have had the starter stop working 3 times and took it to local repair shop, presumably for brushes. Each time they fix it for around $50 and each time they say they just had to clean the starter, no brushes. The $50 is probably about 1 hour labor, maybe the minimum charge. Now its time to do it again and I figure that if they can clean it, I can also. I don't see any way to get that starter off without dissambly of some of the engine/transmission housing because it sits down in a depression and no room for that much movement. That sure looks like more that an hours work all told. Am I missing something or is there a trick to this?

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum! Hope you can find a solution to your problem....

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Before you tear into it get an owners manual! It will help not sure but price a new starter or go ahead and replace the brushes because it sounds like you r doing this to often. on my 400ex the manual says nothing about taking the motor apart to get to starter. Check on back side of starter for bolts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! Before tearing into it are you getting power down to the starter?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts