Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I found this forum looking for info about my inherited 300. Sat up for many years and apparently had some strange mods done to it. Tank appears to be from a 350 Rancher based on the petcock mounting and a few other oddities. So, I suppose I am here for support from some of the resident experts on getting this baby rolling again. I found this to be a great forum full of knowledgeable folks. Thanks to all that take time to answer questions.

I cut my teeth working on early 80's Red 4Trax with my grandfather. He worked at Ford and ran a personal farm, so I learned from a fella that could do more with duct tape and bailing wire than McGuyver could do with a pineapple and a paperclip. That said, I only have workaround experience because he rigged everything with a moving part, and I have no real knowledge about much more than how it works and holding a flashlight still. I can use the heck out of Google though!:grin

I currently have the carb broken down and sitting in gas until my rebuild kit arrives. I found that the plastic shroud on the petcock has broken down to sludge sitting in the tank, so I am trying to figure out if I have to get the OEM petcock and fuel valve assembly or whether I can get one of the cheap replacements. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like the tank, petcock and fuel line needs cleaned out. You can replace the petcock assembly if it is bad. You'll probably need to disassemble the carb for a thorough cleaning too. Beware of cheap carb kits though... they are usually useless china garbage. Shindy makes a decent kit for it I think.... but save all of your original parts in case you need them later.

You can get a copy of the service manual HERE to use for reference and the parts fiche for it is HERE. There are a lot of knowledgeable 300 owners here that can help you. Start a project thread for your 300 in the Builds forum if you wish... we'd all love to see some photos too!

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
bullfoot , welcome to the forums , congratulations on your inheritance ---------a pic is worth a thousand words , show us how you can fit a 350 tank on a 300 ! ------- cleaning the carb with out cleaning the tank , can be like brushing your teeth with toilet water

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry for the delay. National Championship took precedence over getting in the garage.

I appreciate the info retro and fishfiles. Here is a picture before I started on anything. Excuse the mess in the garage, we still aren't out of boxes completely after moving. I have to share the garage with the wife, which is difficult, but she likes football, beer, and firearms. I won't kick a lady out of the garage that is into those things.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't suppose you can see the gas tank that well in the photo. It is one of the plastic Clarke tanks. I base my assumption that it belongs on a 350 on the way the petcock bolts on shown below. Mine has two bolts on the side as opposed to what I have seen out of 300's where the petcock has a single bolt on the center. Is that not typical?

Above the fuel valve you see how the plastic shroud around the petcock completely disintegrated? I was shocked at that and the amount of varnish in the tank itself. Any suggestion on the right solution to clean the tank out best?

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Same here on my end ...... Gmail account

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
I can't look at your pics either ------the plastic tanks don't fit worth a crap , there were at least 3 different plastic tanks I found when looking for them , two didn't look like they fit , one did look ok but I believe it was the one that was discontinued

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
To post pics select Go Advanced a new window will open showing more tools
Select the paper clip icon
Choose a File to upload from your phone for instance
Upload Files (pause until complete) then Close Window
This will take you back to the first reply window–you have to include a minimum number of text characters

BTW links to manual and Parts house
I only buy OEM parts

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, it worked!

Here is the petcock and tank.

I am showing my newbie stripes already. After taking the petcock and fuel valve apart I realized that the TRX300 petcock is indeed what I have, it just has a two hole extension that connects the petcock to the tank. This means that the tank is correct. Whoops!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
Yep , thats an after market tank you have , petcock looks OEM and it is screwed into the adaptor which is bolted to the bottom of the tank ---all three the tanks I mention will attach to the bike , not like the don't physically fit , two of them just don't match the body lines and look bad is what I was getting at -------- glad you got the pics going , keep them coming ----got a pic with the tank on the bike ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's the tank on. It's the cleanest part now since it's half full of gas and bolts. I'm in the shaking phase. I read some other refurb threads and I guess that's the best way?

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've finished with my carb cleaning/rebuild. It's back on.

The petcock, well, it may be roached. I don't think it will work without the strainer and there is no such thing as a replacement strainer on partzilla.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You can get the strainer on partzilla. It’s on the Parts breakdown

1 - 20 of 81 Posts