Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,
Love the forum! I just purchased a used 2016 Rancher 420ES TRX420FE1. The dealer is dragging his feet on getting me an owners manual as promised. I want to go ahead a do an oil change and i am a bit confused about correct oil volume to add and correct part # for the filter. I have ready several conflicting post or the post does not apply to me such as automatic tranny. I don't want to screw up my new "TO ME" ride right out the gate lol!
Also, would someone tell me why I am able to crank my machine while it's in gear? I didn't think you were suppose to be able to do that.
Thanks in advance for your guidence!
James

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Goober thanks for the quick response! I looked and the lastest manual I saw was 2014. If figured there would be some changes between the 2014 model and the 2016.

Super Moderator
if I remember right ?, you can pull one of the brake levers, and start them in gear on that model ?. if this is the case ?, then the switch for this may be hanging open ?. no, your model does not have a auto tranny, it has gears, manual transmission sorta ?, but it uses the electric shift motor to change gears instead of your foot. not sure on the oil filter ?, Honda uses the same oil filter on most models, but some models require a spec filter, which I am pretty sure the automatic transmission models use these. down load the service manual from the site here, it has all the info you need :).

Super Moderator
nm. I only seen '14 service manual myself, guess no one here has a newer model to post the manual up :).

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys! I guess i'll just stay on the dealer to get me a 2016 manual as promised!

Reactions: Goober

Super Moderator
Thanks for the replies guys! I guess i'll just stay on the dealer to get me a 2016 manual as promised!
you can try looking on ebay for a Honda service manual for your year/make :).

Reactions: jmcclenny

Super Moderator
I know I'm across the pond but here in the UK the two main manual manufacturers are Haynes & Clymer. I bet you could email Haynes and get one shipped to you faster than main dealer get you one! There is also a Clymer manual for your ATV on eBayuk

Registered
James, just a friendly reminder be sure to you approved oil for wet clutches and make double/triple sure you install the filter in correctly. Be sure to post a pic of the new ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts