Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I know that there is alot of good people and information on this site. I just purchased a 85 atc250es big red and am looking for alittle help in reviving this old girl. From what I have heard these are great machines. I have always wanted one of these since I was a kid. I currently have a 1984 Honda 200m but that is a whole other story so I do have limited knowledge of working on these. What I am trying to find is some help in getting this unit up an running. Obviously at this point it does not run. The kick start does not work. Battery is missing so I have yet to test to see if it will start that way. I want to make sure it has some sort of compression but with out the electric starter; am dead in the water? I over heard someone at the sale say he thought the cogs on the kick starter were not engaging. Could this be the case? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Luke

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
85 Honda 250 bigred

Thanks for the help on the diagram. I guess what I am looking for is some guidance in tearing into the kick start mechanism. What to look for once I am in there etc.. The kickstart ticks and does not engage. If I pull out slightly every once in awhile I can get it to catch on something but not repeatedly. I am doing it by hand and not using my foot. I want to try this method first before trying the electric side. On my 200, I hooked up a jumper cables to the leads and tried to fire it up and I ended up having a dead short somewhere and burnt up the harness. So I would rather try the safe approach. Any help is great.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
The gears on the kick starter could be bad, but more than likely, the one-way clutch bearing in the centrifugal clutch is bad. When this bearing goes bad, sometimes it will catch and sometimes it won't. When they get real bad, they won't catch and turn the engine over at all. When you take the clutch cover off, if you don't see anything wrong with the gears, then replace the one-way bearing.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I had a Big Red when I was about 16 man what a fun ride!! I would stroongly suggest picking up a Honda service manual for thm that way you can get a better idea of what your looking at. Check With Helmut he's kind of an old school atv guy he may be able to help.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts