Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I'm newish to the ATV/motorsports community and I'm working on a recon trx250 es. My mechanical abilities are moderate/hobbyist.

Problem: It's pretty difficult to cold-start... it requires getting the plunge-style choke set at just the right depth to turnover and run/idle (this usually takes 4-5 attempts to find just the right spot). After warming up for a seemingly long time (idling for 10+ mins or riding for 3-5 mins), the choke can be opened. I have suspicions that my problem is the fuel mix screw. I haven't actually removed the tamper-proof plug and started adjusting anything yet. I just tore the carb down, cleaned thoroughly (including confirming the main and pilot jets weren't clogged), re-assembled, installed and the problem persisted.

My plan: I plan to drill-out the tamper-proof plug this weekend (I'd be glad to have any suggestions for best approaches to this) but I was thinking I'd prefer to install an easy-adjust fuel screw similar to the tusk-style finger screws

Here is an amazon listing for something similar:
amazon.com/Motorcycle-Mixture-Keenso-Carburetor-Adjuster/dp/B07FL3N9BX/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?keywords=tusk+fuel+screw+honda+recon+trx+250+atv&qid=1575644278&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&smid=AN3QLT9N21E5P&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQjFHVzVDTkVGR0RNJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTYxMjU5MUI4SkZaV0dJTzIzSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDM0MTEzM0Q5SURRQllHSDczTiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Main question: I'm having trouble finding aftermarket screws that specifically list the trx250 in the fit charts. Can anyone provide a source for this type of part or guidance on whether there is cross-compatibility with other models/brands?

All guidance and suggestions on this problem are welcome :)

Premium Member
Not knowing year of your unit, I would recommend you change the choke plunger first. When they become worn they do not seal well.
Otherwise, try disassemble and clean the carb very well; consider getting an OEM gasket kit.

I myself would not try to modify a carb

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I'm sure the year would be helpful. It's a 2013. I may have misspoke when I described the choke as plunge-style. It's a choke that is engaged by pushing/pulling a plunger in/out, but the plunger just actuates the air damper (for lack of knowing the proper term) inside the carb. That seems to be functioning properly.

I have given the carb a pretty thorough cleaning, including inspecting the gaskets, but I have ordered a rebuild kit with new gaskets. I will give those a try.

The reason for swapping in the thumb screw was not so much for modifying the carb but instead to make adjusting the screw easier when needed to get starting and idling to function properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts