Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New User from MN. Purchased a 2013 Honda Foreman 500 off of eBay. It's been a nightmare. Legal Bill of Sale contained no info. Found VIN under winch. VIN had a hole thru 4 of the 17 digits. Trying to find the engine model number, but not having any luck. Any astute individuals out there that can point me in the right direction to find that model number. When I spoke with Honda they said it might be on a metal plate or engraved into the motor. I'm thinking IF it's a metal plate, that may be gone as well, since they did fine work on the VIN. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
engine number won't tell you what you have ?, all it will do is tell you when and where the engine was put together ?. the vin number/plate they are calling ?, is where yours is missing numbers because some dummy thought it was a bright idea to mount the winch plate right were the vin numbers were !..lol. ran into something close to your problem on my '05 trx500fm , they welded a plate to the front bumper, AND THE VIN NUMBER PLATE !, I got lucky, they only welded it to the lower side of the cross plate, sooo, it did not kill my vin number ?, BUT IT SURE AS HECK MADE MY LIFE HECK GETTING THAT PLATE OFF !!!..LMFAO. without a vin number ?, you run the risk of no proof showing you bought a legit atv ?, it's going to hurt you in the long run. i'd be all over that seller on ebay, and maybe even look to get my money back ?, I don't play when it comes to a vin number not being where it should ?, and can read all 17 digits !. that just screams DONT BUY ME !..LOL.

Reactions: dilligaf29

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shadetree I have been all over the seller and eBay, but the seller is Louisiana and I'm in MN. Ebay doesn't seem to care they are the possibly the middle man in a theft ring. Very frustrating. Honda Inc is trying to help, and want to piece the VIN with the engine model number. Honda told me it should be on a small metal piece that is attached to the engine. Well if that is the case, the seller took that small metal piece off the engine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Had trouble starting my own thread I hope you don't mind if I pop in but I have a 2003 300 EX and the front tires are shot the tire size on it now or 22 x 7-10 and my buddy has a set of new tires that are 21 x 6-10 will they fit my quad ?

·
Registered
565 Posts
shadetree I have been all over the seller and eBay, but the seller is Louisiana and I'm in MN. Ebay doesn't seem to care they are the possibly the middle man in a theft ring. Very frustrating. Honda Inc is trying to help, and want to piece the VIN with the engine model number. Honda told me it should be on a small metal piece that is attached to the engine. Well if that is the case, the seller took that small metal piece off the engine.
Contact you local law enforcement agency RIGHT AWAY! Get them involved ASAP. When dealing with the possibility of receiving stolen property the FIRST thing you want to do is protect yourself. Get every piece of documentation associated with the sale together in one place. If law enforcement cannot definitively establish the atv is stolen, then the state should issue you a VIN and/or a title thereby granting you lawful ownership of the atv from that point forward. You're probably gonna get the short end of the stick on this one, bud. Just get the law on your side. A FELONY is NOT what you want attached to your name. Even if you lose your money you're better off than being a convict.

Reactions: shadetree

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I agree, you might have a stolen ATV and if so, YOUR Screwed as its illegal to posses a stolen ATV
its also illegal to have a item with an altered VIN

you cannot insure or register the ATV without a VIN as well

I am correct that the PRICE was why you bought it?
as I an betting that was why, too good a deal tends to be just that

you might end up loosing all the MONEY you put into this
and EVEN IF< you try to sell it, it can still come back to bite you in the butt for selling a stolen ATV if the next person that buys it digs into things

I personally never BUY things that will need insurance on them, without a title, if ANYONE has a AN ATV, and NO title, its NOT hard to get one and then selling it, is peace of mind that it LEFT your name
and again BUYING One with a REAL title, gives you peace of mind its NOT stolen, as at title transfer, all there info gets recorded! saving you from holding the bag!

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
the plate your seeking is on the engine, its made out of the engine itself, it's a square area made into the casting, the engine numbers are stamped into the plate area like brail dots making the numbers. I will look at mine, and tell you where to find this plate area, and get back to you.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Ok, I just went out and looked at my '05 trx500fm, and here is what and where the engine serial number is stamped. on the right rear back side, just right of the pull starter, on the stator cover facing backwards, look for a square plate, on it, is your engine serial number, the numbers are stamped in dots like I said, you may need to LIGHTLY rub the grime off the plate, too see the numbers ?, but it is there ! ( unless this seller grinded or files them off ? ), then I deff would be calling your local police to have it inspected, and put on file that you purchased this from that seller on ebay !.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Not sure what your police are like in the USA but here in the UK I'd be on to the seller before contacting the police, the police would just impound the ATV and you'd be moneyless and ATVless. The quad would then either be crushed, returned to its rightful owner or sold in a police auction depending on circumstances.
Police here with issues like this are total ass wipes!

Get on to the guy you bought it off and get your cash back.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Not sure what your police are like in the USA but here in the UK I'd be on to the seller before contacting the police, the police would just impound the ATV and you'd be moneyless and ATVless. The quad would then either be crushed, returned to its rightful owner or sold in a police auction depending on circumstances.
Police here with issues like this are total ass wipes!

Get on to the guy you bought it off and get your cash back.
I know what I would do ?..if it was paid for through paypal ?, i'd file a claim with them, and get my money back, and let the police handle it..lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info. The 2013 owners manual shows the engine model number is on the left side on the crank. I did not locate it anywhere on the engine, but did contact local law enforcement and DNR, along with HONDA. They are all saying since they cannot determine the VIN they can't prove it's stolen, in which the DNR is going to issue me a registration based on the VIN numbers that one can see, which is a good thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts