Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just bought a 2005 400ex and am new to this site. I bought it with a brand new engine in it. I have a few questions about it. What is the best oil to run in it and is full synthetic ok for it or not? Also when its running it makes a small clicking sound coming from the engine, and im not sure it thats normal. last thing is its missing the larger of the two bolts for the oil filter cap... does anyone know the size?

·
Premium Member
7,533 Posts
The valves will make a small clicking noise. Most guys on hear run the GN 4 oil I run Mobile 1 full synthetic for bikes or Rotella T T 6 full synthetic in my stuff. Welcome to the forums.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im a little worried about the clicking noise... is it something that i should have checked out or is it normal

·
Registered
12 Posts
yah i totally agree with the ticking sound, my 2005 crf450r used to do that... but now i have a sound in the casing of my trx440ex, when i give it a rev, it almost sounds like a second rev coming from in the casing as it whinds down from the rev?!?! any thoughts?? ive riddin it lots with the sound being there never having it get worse, its just there, but its such a distinct sound, you can hear it even if your not looking for it?!?!:confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
im pretty sure its not your valves me and buddy jus brand new 08 400ex's they both make the ticking noise also years ago i had a 02 400ex and my step dad a 05 450r all have made the ticking noise and i am however going to check my valves sometime this weekend idk how to but my buddy does should be pretty simple only tool youll probally need other than what you probally have already is a feeler gauge to messure the gap of the valves jus look it up man

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
You could check your valves. My 400EX makes a ticking sound. Its a Honda thing.
Welcome to the Family!
this might sound stupid!!! but how do i check my valves? and what am i looking for, when i get a them???..
Sorry I over looked this thread! Do you have a manual? I would suggest you read through one before you attempt to check/adjust your valves. If not one of us can find you a manual to down load.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
You can download the 400EX service manual from the site below. The valve adjustment procedure is listed in the maintenance chapter.

maxmekker.com

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts