Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 300ex.

It is all stock.

I just picked up a set of maier racing plastics and new seat.
I also snagged a set of itp baja wheels.

Waiting on a set of ac racing nerf bars and bumper.

I am wanting to widen the front and rear.
I know I could spend 300-500 and pick up a a arm set and axle.

I am wanting to run 400ex a arms or 450r's with shocks.
Order +2 rear hubs,that I found.

I am wanting to know if the 450r and 400ex a arm is the same size.
I also can weld and fab,but am short a tube bender and really do not want to build a set of arms unless the 400 and 450 arms are a waste of $$as an upgrade over the 300 stock arm.

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Im a newb too, doing the same thing with a 250X. The 400ex arms will fit and are 1 inch longer than the 250x/300ex arms.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That much I know.

My point is,is the + 2 a real gain over the expense with the shocks etc.
Would the 450r be a better option?

I also have found someone that has this used in a + 2 a arm and adjustable rear axle so + 4 front and back,if the price is right the way to go.
If not I am curious to the other options,Maybe a picture of a side by side 300 with or without the 400/450r mod?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I'd build a set.I'm going to get cheap 300ex a-arms and add sections to them.What you do is slice them.Get a round bar stock that fits inside of the tube then drill holes in your exhisting a armson either side of the cut(for spot welds)Slide the bar stock inside each half and choose disired widening also have tubing to match up to the a arm size to go over the bar stock.Once everything is welded in grind your welds down and it'll took really profesional and you'll have your custom built widened a arms that look like stock.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd build a set.I'm going to get cheap 300ex a-arms and add sections to them.What you do is slice them.Get a round bar stock that fits inside of the tube then drill holes in your exhisting a armson either side of the cut(for spot welds)Slide the bar stock inside each half and choose disired widening also have tubing to match up to the a arm size to go over the bar stock.Once everything is welded in grind your welds down and it'll took really profesional and you'll have your custom built widened a arms that look like stock.
Well where are you going to cut them at?before or after the shock mount?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Before.On the frame side.That way the shock as a good angle.When I get mine I'll post up pics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts