Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Rancher that runs smooth as silk, idles perfectly, but has lost its midrange and high end power. I used to be able to pull away and accelerate up a hill starting in 2nd or even third gear if I wanted to. now when I shift into 2nd while going up a hill it just lugs along. Since it didn't misfire at all I didnt suspect ignition as a problem. I suspected fuel/carburetion. today I took off the carb and totally disassembled it, cleaned it out, and readjusted all settings to factory specs. the last time it had high end power was probably about a year ago. I haven't noticed the power loss until just recently because I have been mainly just putting along on level ground. I suspect that I might have caused the problem because I had some idling problems a year ago (but no power problems) and overhauled the carb at that time. I'd hate to have to spring for a new carb and I'm hoping someone here has an answer for me. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Have you changed your air filter??? just a dumb simple question, and commonly overlooked

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Man I hate these questions. I kinda know the answer but I don't. That's why I hate it. I would love to tell you the answer if I could. lol

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Check the air filter on the intake and the spark arrester in the exhaust.If any of those are plugged it can cause the condition you have. Welcome to the forums!!!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried doing a simple compression test to make sure that you haven't lost any?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all of you for steering me in the right direction. I didn't think of intake or exhaust issues. I was too fixated on the carb. special thanks to Saber6 for your excellent carb 101 post and also your reply to this problem. You hit the nail right on the head! I should have thought of exhaust restriction but it never entered my mind. Last year I bought a stealth muffler add-on for the Rancher. I never thought it would reduce my power. I haven't really done anything that required power lately. I took off the add-on muffler and the old beast turned into a rocket ship. Thanks, I might have done something stupid like buy a new carb without your advice

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Glad I could help!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts