Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 2012 TRX420FM about a month ago. Like the title says, just switched from Suzuki to Honda. Is there a maintenance guide or calendar that will show when to change fluids, brakes, setting valves, and other stuff? Bike is in good shape and intend to keep it that way.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on owning your first Honda, good choice :)
If you look on here you'll find a download pdf service manual for your model, I think it's under schematics.

Edit: You'll find it under "schematics and manual help"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on, thanks. Nothing there for 2012, but I cant imagine there is much difference between 2011 and 2012. I will look it over.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I don't think there are many differences at all, I vaguely remember this being covered in another thread not long ago. At least service intervals will be the same and most of not all routine maintenance.
That's a nice machine, I like the 420's

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Eyeing some AP skid plates right meow. With the shipping deal they have going on, it actually makes it worth it to buy in Canada. Use the bike mainly for hauling logs out of the woods. So the power/size is night and day compared to the 700 King Quad. Just would like a little more protection against rocks and stumps.

Appreciate the help.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Cool.. I know all about shipping costs living in the UK, it sucks big time! Doesn't your machine come stock with plastic skid plates? Those plastic types are actually quite tough.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Right on, thanks. Nothing there for 2012, but I cant imagine there is much difference between 2011 and 2012. I will look it over.
Nice Rancher! Looks like you got some awesome tires too. Are those 26" or 25" tires?

On my 2016 Honda Rancher Honda recommends oil change every 600 miles or 100 hours of operation. I have followed that guide, and with 2400 miles on the odometer now I've had no issues.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Foreman too

On my 2016 Honda Rancher Honda recommends oil change every 600 miles or 100 hours of operation. I have followed that guide, and with 2400 miles on the odometer now I've had no issues.[/QUOTE]

I love Hondas. I have learned if it says Honda on the nameplate it will do as advertized and for many years. On my 2013 foreman the oil and service interval is the same as Creeds Rancher, 600 miles or 100 hours whichever is first. I'm at 580 miles so ill be due after the next ride. Cheers and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Nice Rancher! Looks like you got some awesome tires too. Are those 26" or 25" tires?

On my 2016 Honda Rancher Honda recommends oil change every 600 miles or 100 hours of operation. I have followed that guide, and with 2400 miles on the odometer now I've had no issues.
Thanks for info creed82/jameslb, I'll be sure to change every 600 miles or 100 hours.

The tires are 25" Mud Lite, would like to upgrade to 26" with the next set. Bike works really well and is fun to drive with the foot shift. Just have one concern and its the swing arm. Not a fan of the open axle, would be curious to see if you can simply just swap out with the new 2016 style. I like the concealed for look and functionality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts