Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own 2001 rancher 350 es and 2004 trx 450r. my in laws own 2 2004 rancher 350 es's. nice to find a site like this, whish i new sooner. but the problem i'm having now is with one of the 04 ranchers. battery was low enough not to start quad and shifter wouldn't work. got it chraged enough to get on trailer and get to my place. charged and drove. shifting only would work would you kept rpms up a little. ran fine but then it just bogged and stopped shifting . battery would not take a charged so i replaced. now it starts fine, shifts fine, idles fine but you cant give it and throttle without it missing and cutting out bad. did i wreck something electrical by driving it low on voltage? right now running it is charging @ 14 volts +/_ .5 volts. any guidance would be apprecciated.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Welcome to the forums! someone that knows more about the ranchers will be able to give more advice about the missing and cutting out

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
i own 2001 rancher 350 es and 2004 trx 450r. my in laws own 2 2004 rancher 350 es's. nice to find a site like this, whish i new sooner. but the problem i'm having now is with one of the 04 ranchers. battery was low enough not to start quad and shifter wouldn't work. got it chraged enough to get on trailer and get to my place. charged and drove. shifting only would work would you kept rpms up a little. ran fine but then it just bogged and stopped shifting . battery would not take a charged so i replaced. now it starts fine, shifts fine, idles fine but you cant give it and throttle without it missing and cutting out bad. did i wreck something electrical by driving it low on voltage? right now running it is charging @ 14 volts +/_ .5 volts. any guidance would be apprecciated.
Welcome to the forums. I wouldn't think it would hurt anything by running it on low voltage, at least, not that quick. But who knows about the electrical components, I guess it's possible. The Rancher has an ECU, so that makes it a lot more complicated. I don't know what to tell you other than to just test each component. Since it seems to be charging, I would start by testing all the ignition components first. I wish I could have been more help. Maybe someone else has had this problem and will chime in.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Is that 14 volts that you're getting at the battery, is that while it's idling? How many volts does it show when you rev the engine up. At 5,000 RPMs, it should show about 15.5 volts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its 13.9-14 volts at idle and just off idle it does go to 14.5 volts but i really can't get it to rev any higher it just spits and cuts out. other than that i will start checking ignition components and having a twin quad here that runs fine will help give me proper values to compare to. i've been very busy but i will try getting you guys some answers real soon and i will take any more advise if you guys come up with something else. thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also thought i would mention that at the point it cuts out voltage stays pretty steady(doesn't drop out) at @ 14.5 volts. i beleive its charging ok but let me know if that doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
also thought i would mention that at the point it cuts out voltage stays pretty steady(doesn't drop out) at @ 14.5 volts. i beleive its charging ok but let me know if that doesn't seem right.
Yeah, it sounds like it's charging OK to me, too.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If it was running and charging, even with a bad battery, the electrical system should have still had enough voltage that you wouldn't have damaged anything. Have you pulled the plug to see if it is fouled? While you have it out, ground the electrode, turn the engine over, and see how strong the spark is. Also watch the top of the head to see if you are blowing excessive amounts of raw fuel out of the plug hole.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i don't know what to say. its fixed and i don't know what i did. i pulled plug and it didn't seemed fouled and then checked for spark. had good spark but compared it to good quad. looked the same. swaped plugs between quads and tested good quad. ran fine. put other plug in bad quad and tested. idled fine but would just cut out like before. all of a sudden it kind of wanted to rev up so i kept feathering the throttle and the next thing i know it runs fine. took it for a ride and everthing is good. i didn't wiggle or touch anything when it decided to clear out. something stuck in carb? i would think it would foul out but what the hell, its fixed for now. just as long as it doesn't leave me on the trail, but being a honda i dought that would happen! thanks for the replys! talk soon!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
well i don't know what to say. its fixed and i don't know what i did. i pulled plug and it didn't seemed fouled and then checked for spark. had good spark but compared it to good quad. looked the same. swaped plugs between quads and tested good quad. ran fine. put other plug in bad quad and tested. idled fine but would just cut out like before. all of a sudden it kind of wanted to rev up so i kept feathering the throttle and the next thing i know it runs fine. took it for a ride and everthing is good. i didn't wiggle or touch anything when it decided to clear out. something stuck in carb? i would think it would foul out but what the hell, its fixed for now. just as long as it doesn't leave me on the trail, but being a honda i dought that would happen! thanks for the replys! talk soon!
Glad you got it going. Yeah, if it starts doing it again, pull the carb off and clean it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts