Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is a 2001 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
I know it is not an EPS... foot shift only

She is a bit rough... has a few things i need to fix and i am getting pretty confusing results from the search for the last few days... i grew impatient and created a new thread... so feel free to haze me on that one :blush:

I dont know why it wont go in reverse.
(squeezing left handle, suppressing red button, then shifting down from N)

I dont understand the shifting altogether... been momentarily letting off the throttle when shifting...

In N it will rev up real good, so i puts it in gear and take off only to find that under load she cuts out... falls on her face then sputters but still moves.

Right now i plan to pull the carb and clean it real good, and i got a new spark plug gap set and ready to go...

As for the Reverse problem....HALP!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Push red button down first, then pull back the brake lever for reverse. (not sure if this is the sequence you've been doing, but doesn't sound like according to how you describe you're attempting it)

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
red button down first, while holding it down, pull brake lever back, when you do this ?, that red button latches down into the lever under the brake lever, then when you pull the brake lever, your pulling the reverse lever back as well. hard to say about the atv stalling out ?, this can be anything from a clutch needing adjusting ?, to carb cleaning ?. your running it with a fully charged battery, correct ?, you can't run them without a battery, period !.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try that when i get home... we can all have a good laugh if it works :)

you are both right! i was pulling it back and then pressing the button.

again... NEWBIE to this ATV thing.

very happy with all other honda products i have so i got this one.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
I will try that when i get home... we can all have a good laugh if it works :)

you are both right! i was pulling it back and then pressing the button.

again... NEWBIE to this ATV thing.

very happy with all other honda products i have so i got this one.
we all learn at one point or another :).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"cant be afraid to look stupid around the campfire so you wont be stupid on the trail"

a good friend told me that... so far i have never regretted asking a mess of questions when i am new to something.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
"cant be afraid to look stupid around the campfire so you wont be stupid on the trail"

a good friend told me that... so far i have never regretted asking a mess of questions when i am new to something.
I was raised by this '' THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION YOU HAVE ?..IS THE ONE YOU DON'T ASK '' ?!.

Reactions: SamUK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I was raised by this '' THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION YOU HAVE ?..IS THE ONE YOU DON'T ASK '' ?!.
yep! this is one of those times haha

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
The VIN is stamped into a horizontal frame rail in between the front headlights. On mine, I'd have to remove plastic to see it. A copy of the shop manual would help you here.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts

I think poor Shady here is sick to the back teeth of my questions lmao

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Sounds great! Have an 02 FE at work, it wasn't real popular because guys would have to push the reverse button, pull the rear brake lever and then push the downshift button. All with the left hand. Hilarious results. Still not the fave but very reliable

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts

I think poor Shady here is sick to the back teeth of my questions lmao
nah, I don't mind you asking questions ?, I try to answer if I know the answer ?..lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok...

carb scattered, cleaned, reinstalled... runs fantastic. except half throttle in 3rd gear... cuts out and picks back up. i can throttle through it no problem but thats kinda my favorite cruise speed so i want to fix it.

Ball joints look bad...that will be fun lol

but the CV shafts are new, the tie rods are new.

the brakes look like shi-caca so i am looking at a super atv disk brake swap...? looks pretty good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.