Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well im new to this forum but it looks like it will be helpfull! I just picked up a 1993 Honda 300EX for 700 bucks today and it came with a Big Gun exhaust, Rear studded tires and the non studded ones, and nerf bars. It runs pretty good but needs a carb cleaning since its been sitting for a while. It also definately needs an oil change, its pretty low on oil and its black. My friend had a 2000 400EX and while doing the oil change, he broke one of the bolts for the oil filter cap, is this common? Also, what oil should i use? Just a 5w-30 or 10w-30? Im looking forward to riding this over spring break and want to tune it up just so its good to go! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Ok well im new to this forum but it looks like it will be helpfull! I just picked up a 1993 Honda 300EX for 700 bucks today and it came with a Big Gun exhaust, Rear studded tires and the non studded ones, and nerf bars. It runs pretty good but needs a carb cleaning since its been sitting for a while. It also definately needs an oil change, its pretty low on oil and its black. My friend had a 2000 400EX and while doing the oil change, he broke one of the bolts for the oil filter cap, is this common? Also, what oil should i use? Just a 5w-30 or 10w-30? Im looking forward to riding this over spring break and want to tune it up just so its good to go! Thanks!
Welcome to the forums. Those oil filter cap bolts are real soft bolts. Just don't overtighten them or they will twist off easy. Make sure you use an oil designed for wet clutch systems or your clutches will start slipping. Here is the oil specs for the 300 EX, from the Honda Repair Manual.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
If i replaced them bolts with say grade 8 would that help them from breaking?
It probably would. Those bolts can twist off removing them, also. The best way to prevent this is to put anti-seize on the threads before putting them back in. Before you try to remove those bolts, it might be a good ideal to give the a quick tap with a hammer to jar them. Just don't hit them hard enough to crack something.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Make sure you use a wet clutch compatible oil.I'd stick with the honda oil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what i should do is, drain the old oil, get the filter out, and put new filter in, then the new oil? Is there anything special that i have to do? I know how to do car and small engine oil changes, but never a quad.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Yeah what you said is right.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
So what i should do is, drain the old oil, get the filter out, and put new filter in, then the new oil? Is there anything special that i have to do? I know how to do car and small engine oil changes, but never a quad.
Pretty much just like a car or small engine. Same process. Just make sure you use the right kind of oil.

Make sure you don't put the oil filter in backwards. If you put it in backwards, you will destroy the engine. Watch which way it comes out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
whem i change mine i turn my run switch to off and give it a few quick hits to the start button and i get a little more of the old oil out that way

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
K well all the oil filter cover bolts came out without breaking so im happy about that. My friend destroyed his 400ex by putting that filter in wrong so ill be careful! Thanks for all the welcomes! My bro also has a 2003 Z400. I found out the reason why it wasnt running to great either, carb was HORRIBLE! There was crud built up in a lot of places and i have yet to clean the jets and whatnot. Would bad oil and a bad filter make the engine smoke a little more? Mine smokes, but not terribly. Is it time for new rings/piston?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
K well all the oil filter cover bolts came out without breaking so im happy about that. My friend destroyed his 400ex by putting that filter in wrong so ill be careful! Thanks for all the welcomes! My bro also has a 2003 Z400. I found out the reason why it wasnt running to great either, carb was HORRIBLE! There was crud built up in a lot of places and i have yet to clean the jets and whatnot. Would bad oil and a bad filter make the engine smoke a little more? Mine smokes, but not terribly. Is it time for new rings/piston?
I've heard of ATVs having EXTREMELY dirty oil and them using oil and then when the oil was changed, they quit using oil. Like I said, I've HEARD this, but I've never experienced it myself, because I try not to let my oil get that dirty to begin with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well hopefully thats my case. It is running MUCH better now that i cleaned the carb. I really like the sound of the Big Gun exhaust on there! Sounds mean!

·
Registered
116 Posts
:icon_ worthless:

Haha, I've always wanted to do that LOL. Anyways you should take some pics so we can check it out!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts