Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
Just found this site after I bought my new 2010 2WD Rancher ES. I have rode quads for over ten years, mostly for work. However, I have never maintained an ATV or owned one myself. Are there any stupid things I should not do or smart things I should do to a new ATV? I have only rode it for about 3-4 minutes at the dealer and don't know about break-in etc. I will read the manual as soon as it gets dropped off today.
Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Just read the manual and follow what it says about break in. Do the initial break-in maintenance as outlined in the book [probably best to let the dealer do it] and after that just change the oil and ride it.

Stupid things you should not do? There is not enough space on the internet to list all of those. Common sense is your best friend.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Well said Pain!

Keep the air filter clean and always use oil made for atv/motorcycles. Adjust the valves when needed and that quad will last you along time.
Welcome to the Family!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'm sure to be back here regularly for info and discussion. The o/c will not be a problem at all for me but the valve adjustment may end up costing me. I don't have access to anything that could haul this thing so I had planned on doing the o/c myself. However, the dealer told me the valves are supposed to be adjusted, according to the manual, after the first 20 hours and I want to make sure I do things right.
I'm certain I can do the valve adjustment myself as I have tracked down the procedure w/ pics online and it looks fairly easy for someone of my mechanical knowledge.
I would prefer to have the dealer do the first one, for the warranty if for no other reason. What sucks is it would be over 400 bucks to do the service and transportation so I may just have to do the valves myself.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Go ahead and spring for a service manual. Get a real honda one, not a knock off. It will come in handy if you plan to do everything yourself.

You want to go through all the nuts and bolts after 20 hours, tighten everything up, adjust the brakes, check the fluids for leaks, etc.

That machine should fit in the bed of most pickups, so you could haul it that way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could, but no truck. I kinda live out farther and don't know anyone in my new area (been here a year). I'll probably just have to nut up and spend the $$$ for them to come get it and drop it off for the first service. That should buy me enough time to look for a small trailer or something. Or maybe make friends with someone who owns a truck.:)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have one of those little 4x6 carry-on trailers. Cost me $400 at tractor supply. My foreman fits nicely on it. I have a tacoma sized toyota [pre tacoma] and it fits in there with a little hanging onto the gate. Your rancher would fit better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats a pretty good idea. It'll be better soon but for now my old lady and I have decided to stick with one car and it's a mid size SUV. It will pull 2000 lbs max which would be plenty for my Rancher and a little trailer. I'll go check out TSC soon also, I'm usually there every few weeks for something anyway.
My main concern is the warranty. I don't want to the first valve adjustment myself only to find out I boned my warranty by not having a "Honda Service Center" perform it:icon_rolleyes:. I'm going to thoroughly read my manual and warranty booklet tonight and probably call Honda tomorrow to make sure.
If I can do it and not void my warranty I will. Otherwise I may buy a trailer like you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
That's what I did. It cost me a few hundred bucks, but I figured it was worth it for the first time. After that I'll just do my oil changes etc.

FYI, if you don't put that many hours on the machine and can wait until winter, the service centers usually have a winter discount for service. Mine does anyway....saved me 15% by having it done in January.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IDK about the discount, I'll check for sure. It's going to be pretty light duty, it will most likely never see any mud so that may be an option.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Welcome! If ya keep a eye on craigs list some time you can get old pop up campers turned in to flatbed trailers for free or 100 bucks. I got one that will hold 2 quads for $40. Most of them are a pos but if it is cheap enough who cares.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a new 2010 Rancher as well. I am going to change the oil for the first time this weekend. Problem is I left the manual with the quad up north at the in-laws house. I would like to buy the oil and filter before I go back up. Can you (jbray) peek in your manual to see what part # the filter is and what type of oil I need?

Also I assume all I will need is a metric socket set and a torque wrench to get this job done. Correct?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just saw this was the New Member Introduction discussions and not the Maintenance discussions, sorry for posting wrong on the first day! Short intro - Olive 2010 Rancher AT Power Steering 4x4, previous model was a Honda ATC 90 back in 1981. Looked a lot like this: http://users.breathe.com/atvkeithmartin/atc90front.jpg

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I have a new 2010 Rancher as well. I am going to change the oil for the first time this weekend. Problem is I left the manual with the quad up north at the in-laws house. I would like to buy the oil and filter before I go back up. Can you (jbray) peek in your manual to see what part # the filter is and what type of oil I need?

Also I assume all I will need is a metric socket set and a torque wrench to get this job done. Correct?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just saw this was the New Member Introduction discussions and not the Maintenance discussions, sorry for posting wrong on the first day! Short intro - Olive 2010 Rancher AT Power Steering 4x4, previous model was a Honda ATC 90 back in 1981. Looked a lot like this: http://users.breathe.com/atvkeithmartin/atc90front.jpg
I'm not JBray, but here is the oil recommendation from the 2010 420 TE-FE owner's manual. I couldn't find any part number for the oil filter. It just said to use a new Honda genuine oil filter specified for your model or an oil filter of equal quality.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts