Honda ATV Forum banner

New Rubicon 10 feet underwater

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  coolstorybro 
#1 ·
My 2 month old Rubicon sat 10 feet underwater for 5 days during the SE Texas Harvey flood. Washed with clean water and blower dried it well. Drained all fluids and fuel, turned it over with spark plug out to remove water with lubricant dryer spray. All new filters, fluids and fuel. New battery and she fired right up. Now I need help with the transmission not shifting right. I assume the electronics are wet or fried. Any help would be appreciated. BTW- Honda shop said they would have to totally rebuild everything for $5000...

#3 ·
DCT Rubicon?

#5 ·
did you have insurance on it?
if so, I'd go that route
and another reason to have it to those that don't
?
if not, any electrical item you can remove I would, and I'd place it in ziplock bags of dry rice for a few days, it will suck moisture out of things, then get some good electronic cleaner and spray the crap out of all things? it can remove thin film your eye's won;'t see(don';t spray in your eye's however it stings LOL)

I would also be doing a second or third oil/filter change FAST as odds are under that much water that long. she ingested a lot of crap that didn;t come out on a one flush/change alone
I feel for you that must SUCK big time to have all that water damage to all things
best of luck to you

#9 ·
Drop the oil at last 3 times as water in the torque converter takes awhile to flush, is your dash blinking, I would remove the shift motor and front cover to remove any trapped water fairly easy job. Then give it another shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#10 ·
His is a Rubicon, not a Rincon. But I still agree with these guys on multiple flushes. But there is no torque converter in any of the Rubicons.

Reactions: ATC4ever
#19 ·
Electrical components in rice can work but the method we used off shore when under water solenoids went bad was to submerge the item in a bucket of mineral spirits. It pushes the water out. I had an old air cooled YZ 250 that lost spark one time. I submerged the stator overnight and bright spark the next day. It worked for years. The guy that bought it from me called about 15 or 20 years later and said it lost spark and what did I think was the problem. I told him what I did and I guess it worked again because he never called me back.

#20 ·
I was going to say- you MIGHT be able to claim in on your homeowner's insurance if it was in your garage when it got flooded. It might be a long shot, but I think it's worth it to ask the question at least.

The mineral spirits suggestion is a great one for the electrical stuff too. That's relatively inexpensive and worth a try too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.