Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to Brookhaven Honda in ms. on 4/26/1017 bought my 420 TRX420FM 4x4 $4997.00 before tax good people to deal with was there maybe a hour and was on my way back to Reserve La. no run around and good price IMO Im happy and the bike is great for what i need it for.

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
went to Brookhaven Honda in ms. on 4/26/1017 bought my 420 TRX420FM 4x4 $4997.00 before tax good people to deal with was there maybe a hour and was on my way back to Reserve La. no run around and good price IMO Im happy and the bike is great for what i need it for.
That's a gorgeous Rancher! Looks like mine! :) Only, a lot less used. Haha. It's fun to pick up a brand new Honda. Hope you enjoy it! I just got back from a 32.7-mile ride about 20 mins ago, and mine has 2436 miles and 275 hours on it. So far it's been fantastic. If you ever get into sticks off road, you run the risk of tearing a front CV boot, which happened to me. I put Ricochet A-arm guards on mine and I'm very impressed with the product and increased protection for my Rancher.

Reactions: jameslb

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool

going to look into getting a set thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good looking rig, congrats!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Practical and effective, lots of junk to run through here in So. Az. I'll look into these. Thanks.
You can say that again! These Ricochet a-arm guards do a much better job than the factory protection of keeping sticks/junk out of the CV boots.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
good deal on putting something on the a-arms for protection, cuz plastic guards are just stupid..lol. I gotta ask though , instead of buying the new guards, why didn't you buy a new cv-joint boot FIRST ?!. I would have went through the trouble of replacing the boot first, then new guards, it would be a lot easier to do seems to me ?. no way in heck would I wrap duct tape around that boot like that ?, that's just not right at all.

·
Registered
711 Posts
good deal on putting something on the a-arms for protection, cuz plastic guards are just stupid..lol. I gotta ask though , instead of buying the new guards, why didn't you buy a new cv-joint boot FIRST ?!. I would have went through the trouble of replacing the boot first, then new guards, it would be a lot easier to do seems to me ?. no way in heck would I wrap duct tape around that boot like that ?, that's just not right at all.
As I see it, why put on a new boot before the guards, if the new boot is more likely to get torn again that before you get the new guards on? I couldn't afford to do both at the same time, plus I had already decided to just replace the whole axle.

As the duct tape goes, "no way in heck" you'd wrap it with duct tape...so, you'd just leave it open? At the time I couldn't afford the $290 replacement, and the place I'm going to have do it (Western Honda) done is a 3-hour drive away. On top of that, the stick gouged into there so bad, I had already decided to simply replace the whole axle versus just the boot.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
As I see it, why put on a new boot before the guards, if the new boot is more likely to get torn again that before you get the new guards on? I couldn't afford to do both at the same time, plus I had already decided to just replace the whole axle.

As the duct tape goes, "no way in heck" you'd wrap it with duct tape...so, you'd just leave it open? At the time I couldn't afford the $290 replacement, and the place I'm going to have do it (Western Honda) done is a 3-hour drive away. On top of that, the stick gouged into there so bad, I had already decided to simply replace the whole axle versus just the boot.
bro, YOU DON'T REPLACE A WHOE AXLE JUST BECAUSE YOUR BOOT GOT RIPPED !. THATS CRAZY !. those boots are about 20 bucks ( give or take ) , and noooooo..I would not wrap the boot, why ?..because then I would not ride it !. your priorities are all wrong bro, but what ever, your cash and time.

Reactions: JohnnyLouder

·
Registered
711 Posts

bro, YOU DON'T REPLACE A WHOE AXLE JUST BECAUSE YOUR BOOT GOT RIPPED !. THATS CRAZY !. those boots are about 20 bucks ( give or take ) , and noooooo..I would not wrap the boot, why ?..because then I would not ride it !. your priorities are all wrong bro, but what ever, your cash and time.
I'm surprised you feel so strongly about this, like it's making you upset. Then to tell me my priorities are all wrong? WTH? I jumped in to help this dude, and give him a solution so his boots don't get torn, like mine did.

When my boot got torn, I didn't have the money or knowledge to do the repair myself, but I wasn't about to stop riding. So I've been riding, since October, through sand, dirt, dust, and water with an open/torn CV joint. The axle now needs to be replaced. I knew this would be the case. I'm fine with it.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

I'm surprised you feel so strongly about this, like it's making you upset. Then to tell me my priorities are all wrong? WTH? I jumped in to help this dude, and give him a solution so his boots don't get torn, like mine did.

When my boot got torn, I didn't have the money or knowledge to do the repair myself, but I wasn't about to stop riding. So I've been riding, since October, through sand, dirt, dust, and water with an open/torn CV joint. The axle now needs to be replaced. I knew this would be the case. I'm fine with it.
nope, not making me upset at all :). not my atv !..lol. I just don't understand someone that puts a lot of money into making it look better ?, when the prob of a torn boot is, whats needing spending the money on, not what protects them !. fix the boot first, then add fancy gadgets , see my point ?.

Reactions: JohnnyLouder

·
Registered
711 Posts

nope, not making me upset at all :). not my atv !..lol. I just don't understand someone that puts a lot of money into making it look better ?, when the prob of a torn boot is, whats needing spending the money on, not what protects them !. fix the boot first, then add fancy gadgets , see my point ?.
No. You must ride in a place that is very different to where I ride. Every time I go out my CV boots are at risk because there are so many stick, branches, dead trees, cactus...that poke up into my Rancher's underside. I didn't spend money on the guards to make it look nice.

You and I look at A-arm guards differently. You see them as a look-nice accessory. I'm a function-before-form kinda guy. I bought those guards for one reason only, protect the CV boots. If I front the money for new CV boots, then go riding the next day and tear them again...it would be my own stupidity. These Ricochet guards actually protect the CV boots, and that is the reason I bought them.

Just look at my quad, I haven't updated the wheels, there's no fancy winch, there's no LED light bars, no goofy boxes, none of the ways people dress up their quads. For me it's about function.

I noticed rocks have already punched through the factory plastic chassis guard in several places. I ordered the rest of the Ricochet set so that I don't damage the drain plug or anything else under there. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere, like on a new axle, but at this point, if I don't put better protection underneath it, I'll end up having to repair the underside of my quad AND the axle. I'm prioritizing correctly.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

No. You must ride in a place that is very different to where I ride. Every time I go out my CV boots are at risk because there are so many stick, branches, dead trees, cactus...that poke up into my Rancher's underside. I didn't spend money on the guards to make it look nice.

You and I look at A-arm guards differently. You see them as a look-nice accessory. I'm a function-before-form kinda guy. I bought those guards for one reason only, protect the CV boots. If I front the money for new CV boots, then go riding the next day and tear them again...it would be my own stupidity. These Ricochet guards actually protect the CV boots, and that is the reason I bought them.

Just look at my quad, I haven't updated the wheels, there's no fancy winch, there's no LED light bars, no goofy boxes, none of the ways people dress up their quads. For me it's about function.

I noticed rocks have already punched through the factory plastic chassis guard in several places. I ordered the rest of the Ricochet set so that I don't damage the drain plug or anything else under there. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere, like on a new axle, but at this point, if I don't put better protection underneath it, I'll end up having to repair the underside of my quad AND the axle. I'm prioritizing correctly.
your not following me, instead of buying the guards ?, why not replace the 20 dollar boot, fix it the right way, then buy.. an install the stick stoppers !. what you did is azz backwards, you put the stick stoppers on to protect you boots...which great !. but what you should have done is what I spell out above ^^. seems your more interesting in riding ?, than fixing the main problem to me ?, but hey, it's your atv. as for as where and what I ride in , and on ?, this has nothing to do with it !!!. ( and yes, there is lots of sticks, rocks, you name it here in Arkansas ! ) don't blame the area bro, that's not gonna work in my book..lol. i'm done with this, do as you wish :).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts