Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 Honda 300ex.

The engine has had new 11:1 conpression wiseco .040 os piston in it as well as a stage 1 hot cam with new oem timing chain with new oem guides. The cab has been rebuild and has had a jet kit in it. It has corba after market exhaust on it as well as a k&n airfilter in it.

Now for the problem. I put all these new parts in it about a month ago and the fourwheel ran very strong up untill about a week ago it started burning oil really bad. I'm pertty sure the problem is in the head cuase its a new piston with new ring and the cylinder was bore .040 over to match the piston by a professional machine shop.

But I'm not sure. Any suggestions before I rip into her on what to look for?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Other than burning oil how does it run? You may hav installed the ring gaps too close to eachother or like you stated it may be in the head. did you replace the valve seats, springs or any of those? if not that may be your problem with the stage one cam you should be able to retain your factory valvesprings. I have a 250X with a 12:1 weisco 50 over, stage 1 Web Cam FMF power Core 4 full exhaust 134 jet and a K&N filter. mine Runs like a scalded dog. Knock on wood the engine is holding up very well.

·
Registered
195 Posts
X2 on the piston rings. I will normally install them making a triangle with teh ring openings, that way there everything is sealed up. I would also look into the valve seals if they were not already replaced.

Do a compression check first and see if the cylinder will hold preassure. If it does then the rings are probably good. If it drops, then the rings could be part of or the whole probably (air will travel through a smaller gap that the oil will).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts