Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I got some new parts today and my bike finally has spark! I purchased a new cdi box off of a guy along with a kill switch oil Neutral and reverse sensors a new kill switch and ignition! I am starting to think the bike is older then I thought because I have seen posts saying that the cdi from an 86 will not spark an 89-92 model fourtrax but this cdi from an 86 sparked mine perfectly! My next question is that the guy gave me an ignition from the bike but it looks differently then mine I wondered if there was anything I could do to make it work? The first picture is what the new one looks like and the second is the one that came off my bike, thanks again guys you all rock!

Attachments

Premium Member
I wouldn't think the DC-CDI for a Foreman would work for the 86 model but not sure

If it doesn't look like it's made for it I wouldn't try to modify it to make it work. I will take closer look

Yeah I definitely wouldn't use a TE switch

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think it would eather but I'm getting great spark. The ignition came off a 1986 fourtrax 350 but that's what it looks like

Premium Member
That's great you're making progress. Let's try to nail that model and Year. What's the VIN? You don't need to give the last five just use XXXXX

It's on the front frame lower cross member

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks goober I just had a look and there is no vin ? The bike has been abused by previous owners and the vin is missing due to slag from someone welding on the bike

Premium Member
You'll have to consult the manual to compare distinguishing features to be sure then. The CDI wiring colors are different and operates differently too so best to confirm in order to get the right parts

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I understand the cdi from the 86 gets power from the battery and the cdi from an 89 gets power from the stator? So what I am thinking seeing I have spark from mine is that perhaps my fourtrax is actually an older model like 86-87

1 - 7 of 7 Posts