Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself. I’m down here in Tucson AZ. It seems like the dirt bike/atv/sxs capital down here with all the public land and tons of trails and mining ruins. Lots to explore.

I’ve been a car mechanic my whole life. I’m also a welder and have some machining experience. I have Honda dirt bikes but I’m looking at getting my first quad. The one I’m looking at is a 95 fourtrax 300 4x4. I be done some research and they seem like real good quads and perfect for what I need it for.

Does anyone have suggestions on what to look for when I go check this quad out? I’ll check the rear axle and bearings and starter. The seller says it hasn’t run in 4 years after they had the carb rebuilt at a shop, they never tried to tune it and it wouldn’t stay running. What kind of battery should I get to check it out the starter? Are there tons of different batteries for quads? Maybe I could just toss jumper cables on it from my truck? Anything else? Thanks a ton!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
Welcome!
Yes these are great quads. You can look at or download the spec sheets service manual and parts links from my signature block below.

there are three generations
1988-1994
1995-1997
1998-2000

mainly, ignition components are not interchangeable between these gens. You want the oem carb and to only replace with oem parts. Battery spec here!

if the carb has not been thoroughly cleaned and rebuilt with quality parts, it will not idle or accelerate smoothly

You want to see a set of honda keys, with oem ignition switch. When switched on, you want to see a steady neutral light and oil light should come on momentarily and then go out.

Parts are still available for this model

these will kick start and run without a battery but you risk burning up the stator.

·
Premium Member
12,556 Posts
Welcome to the forums , good choice on the 300 , tuff , easy to work on and reliable ----- I have a herd of 300s for the family to ride , here is a pic of my 95 , there are a lot of modifactions you can do to a 300 to suit your style

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Thanks for the manual goober! I’ve been reading through it already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts