Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2001 400 ex...its ruff starting up less its got jumper cables on it...im guessing needs a new battery but once its warmed up there is no problem with it starting. Recently after it warms up if i hit throttle hard a flame will come out of the exhaust and it will stall out. I was wondering if this couuld be carb gunked up or maybe the jet going bad?shoot me your guesses please

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
Welcome to the forums....

The battery would be my guess, as far as the backfireing goes is it cold when itdoes this or does it do it all the time? if cold i would say your rich and it's loading up in the cylinder and detonating when it comes up on stroke to fire the plug and hitting the throttle adds more fule to the chamber. What kind of mods have you done to your quad?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i bought it used its got dg full exaust aftermarket blue?? yamaha racing plastics..and cept for the sprockets and chain that i replaced im not honestly to sure what all he did before i got it. I had it for about a year now!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Clean the carb good.If it just started recently something had to have changed.Probably just junk on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks billy thats what i was going to do..just wondering if there was something else i could check while i was in there dickin around

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
jetting may be your issue that along with a dirty carb...like Billy said take it off and give it a good cleaning with some carb and choke cleaner

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
yup..start with a good carb cleaning..if that don't work..you may need to over haul your carb with new jets.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
No problem man.Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Welcome to the site... let us know how that goes.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Welcome to the forums!!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts