Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I just purchased my first Honda ATV. It's a Blue '91 Fourtrax 4x4. In pretty good shape for the year. The rear brake seems to drag a little, the frame needs paint in a few spots, and some hardware here or there (like the fender flare bolts) could be replaced.

Been reading quite a bit on the site since my purchase, and though it was time to sign up. Here's my 'to-do' list for the spring;

- 2" lift
- 12" wheels with 25" front, 26" rear tires (is this too big without gear reduction?)
- paint a few rusty parts on the frame
- add those metal floorboards I've seen. Anyone have a used set for sale? Or recommendations on the best ones to buy? I like the syle of the "Highlifter" and "Strong Made" ones.
- add a winch
- swap out the front headlights for flush mount LEDs. I've seen a couple of youtube vidoes of this, and love them. My question is, if I use 18W LED headlights, are they too bright for oncoming ATVs on the trail at night? When I swapped out the stock headlights for HIDs in my old RZR, they were blinding to on-comers. If I wanted to let someone pass, I had to turn of my headlights... which sucked.
- address the sticky (and fairly shitty) brakes. Is it worth it to invest in disk conversion kits for a bit of trail riding?

Thanks for the add, can't wait to read up more on these quads. From my understanding they are bulletproof (except for the rear end). Speaking of rear ends, when I constantly read of them being bad, what exactlly is the common issue with the rear end? Bearings? Axle splines?

cheers

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Good looking unit. Link to the service manual and parts house in my sig block below.

Problem with most led kits is they throw a very wide beam that blinds everyone headed your way. I have a set and it’s annoying even in the campground when you’re passing by folks. So they are OK imo as an aux set but not primary. I am looking at a set of spot lamps.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Welcome to the forums
Here's a pic of the quad. With the rear box and windshield just laid on at the moment.
I'm liking the fairing! Sharp unit you have!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link and the advice on the LEDs Goober. From your experience, do you think the larger issue with the LEDs is the spread of the light, or the wattage? I'd love to have a set of LEDs for low beam, and a 2nd higher watt for high beam. If I went with lower wattage for the lows, do you think that would help, or if my lows were spot lights?

Anyone have any alternative suggestions to replace the stockers that provide more light without blinding oncoming traffic off road?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
For those 25 watt stanley none halogen bulbs, you can go with a set of these 50 watt halogen bulbs , they come with the tips dyed blue, you can take some fine steel wool and easly removed that stupid blue dye, there the highest wattage bulb i could locate , I'm very happy with mine, for china junk ........ They work really good, but they do blind on coming ( some )........ On high beam

Attachments

Reactions: TBRider

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
@xjnewfie I have 12 or 18 watt, pretty small light kit on my Chili Pepper. It’s the non directional design of the lamp—the beam focusing reflectors of most designs are too shallow IMO—to direct the beam pattern properly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
xjnewfie= Quote "
12" wheels with 25" front, 26" rear tires (is this too big without gear reduction?)
- paint a few rusty parts on the frame
- add those metal floorboards I've seen. Anyone have a used set for sale? Or recommendations on the best ones to buy? I like the syle of the "Highlifter" and "Strong Made" ones.
- add a winch " Quote

1) you tire choice would be no problem without a reduction , I have 27 Swamp Lites on the wife's 300 , no problems , they are light tires
2) Strongmade is a good choice , nicely built good price , fast delivery
3) the winch is going to require you making a plate for it to mount on as there is no prefabb'ed store bought mount for the 1st gen 300's , I need a mount built for my 1st gen 300 , started building and got side tracked , seen many that just weld a plate to the frame ,easiest thing to do but personally I am not going to do that

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad to hear 25/26 inch tires won't be an issue. I don't want to tear up the quad, but definatley want to increase my ground clearance. I've read up on a few homemade winch mounting plates now and will undertake the same. I don't think I'll be welding to the frame myself, but instead use ubolts to attach it to the frame. Here's an example of what I will attempt.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=112689&share_fid=71592&share_type=t

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad to hear the tires I want to install won't be an issue. The quad seems to be geared pretty low, and I'm not a mud guy unless necessary, so I was hoping that would be the case. Like yourself, I don't plan on welding to the frame either. I've seen threads where guys attached the winch mount plate to the frame using u-bolts. Seems like a good idea, and most likely the way I'll go.

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
u-bolts are the way I will go also , only problem is the frame is so narrow at the front where the plate needs to go that the u-bolts will be under the winch , so I figure I need to step up with a second plate , if that makes any sense

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
u-bolts are the way I will go also , only problem is the frame is so narrow at the front where the plate needs to go that the u-bolts will be under the winch , so I figure I need to step up with a second plate , if that makes any sense
It does make sense... However check out this one another forum member built, single plate, seems tidy. My only concern with this setup is the fairlead is attached to the front bumper, then again, perhaps that isn't an issue.

http://www.hondaforeman.com/157-vintage-honda/112689-1990-trx300fw-winch-mount.html#/topics/112689

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome Aboard!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts