Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, new here. I recently picked up this quad and to say the least it's seen better days. It was run for as long as the last owners had it without an air filter. . Which I'm assuming wasn't very long, just long enough to about send it to the scrap yard. Needless to say it needs a complete go through as it looks to have ingested more dirt than fuel. Apparently the filter would get wet and stall the bike when they were "swamping". So they just removed them and never put them back on. The pictures are what I saw when I first walked up to the bike. When I noticed the snorkel cut in the airbox in knew the battery wasn't a temporary thing. That's when I asked about the air filter.

So I'm looking to give this thing a little TLC and see if I can't provide a better home for it. What I'm thinking right now is rebuilding the motor with minimal budget. Here me out first, I'm already looking into weisco and similar bottom and top end kits for the end build. Right now this is a project for me and my 15yr old son who has some learning issues and recently got him into ridding. He loves it and I'm so excited to see him be able to finally ride. So this is going to be a budget build using mostly his earned money. We looked at such brands as Niche and the discount store on ebay but I feel I'd rather take my chances with some used parts if they're not wore out and from a trustworthy source. Maybe someone just upgraded something for more power and the old parts were fine. That's what we need. I'll post some more pics and show you the inside of the motor.

My main concern is the cylinder right now, it's glazed like nothing I've ever seen before. Smooth as silk and darker than coal, show no signs of scratching or wear, even the piston looked good. Keeping in mind how much dirt this thing ate. I think when I hone the cyl. it's going to reveal something terrible, maybe. More on the later after I get a picture of it. Looking forward to any advice.

Thanks,
RK

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey, I see that nobody answered this.. I’m not sure what you are looking to replace engine-wise, but I would not suggest any niche parts, or even any used parts. Go new and good. With that being said, if nothing is needed then you better do the best you can in flushing it out clean. There could even be some crap floating around the bottom end.. make sure you unscrew the crankcase oil drain to get out anything. I know this is pretty basic stuff but it’s the most important. I actually flushed my engine with diesel fuel when I had all the cylinders off. I had the clutch cover off and poured diesel fuel down in the rod hole to flush anything bad out. Lmk how it goes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately everything down to the crank needs replaced. In fact its at Mr Crankshafts right now. You can see by the pics the head, cam and valve cover are toast. Lifters are shot as well. The cylinder was self honed from all the dirt and is way beyond repair, maybe sleeve it if it's cost prohibited. I thought the crank was shot due to the knocking but it turned out to be the piston making the noise. I think low oil (+dirt) contributed to it though. The crank had slight movement side to side like normal and zero up/down. I was stumped, so I put the piston back on and that's when I noticed the wrist pin had a black ring around it. It had so much wobble in the con rod that it burnt a groove into the wrist pin. If you look at the picture of the cam you can see on the left edges of the lobes there is about an 1/8" lip from the cam being ground down so bad.

I'm already putting together a parts list that includes Wiseco, hot cams and a couple others. That will be for next winter while we save a little. Right now we just want to get it running so we can ride it next summer. That way we get a good feel for what we'll want to change.

The only thing I was thinking from Niche was a Cylinder. The piston will be Wiseco more than likely. Not sure on head though. Trying to keep it in the $500 budget for the major parts. I got the bike for $700 less than they wanted because of damage so the build needs to be with in that amount.

RK
P.S. Yes those are pine needles on top of the piston.

Engineering Gas Auto part Metal Machine
Bicycle part Font Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Eyewear Rim
Metal Cylinder Nickel Household hardware Plumbing fitting
Art Gas Heat Tints and shades Circle

1 - 3 of 3 Posts