Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, bought a 1999 trx300fw, my did a little pulling behind it and we road it sparingly for just a bit, runs ok, a little smoke, so I decided to start the maintenance process. I changed the oil which was really ugly and the filter, sparkplug ect..., now on to cleaning the air filter and the foam was missing, it's parked and I've ordered some stuff from BikeBandit, any ideas if I need to do anything other than just replace everything, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Was it sitting for a while brfore you bought it? If so the smoke might clear up. But what color is the smoke?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re

Actually hasn't smoked since I changed the oil, but I'll check it out more once I get the air filter in and do all the maintenance, til then i'm gonna let it sit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi everyone, bought a 1999 trx300fw, my did a little pulling behind it and we road it sparingly for just a bit, runs ok, a little smoke, so I decided to start the maintenance process. I changed the oil which was really ugly and the filter, sparkplug ect..., now on to cleaning the air filter and the foam was missing, it's parked and I've ordered some stuff from BikeBandit, any ideas if I need to do anything other than just replace everything, thanks in advance.
Sounds like your doing all the mait. items that have to done. You can check for slop in the rear axle. See how old the batt. is. Pull all the wire conections and clean them. If it has had old gas in it, maybe want to pull the carb and clean out all the jets and passages. Check all tire pressures. If its smoking, it may be time for a new piston and ring. But it may go for a long time smoking. Keep an eye on the oil before every ride.
Nick

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Actually hasn't smoked since I changed the oil, but I'll check it out more once I get the air filter in and do all the maintenance, til then i'm gonna let it sit.
Sounds like you have a good quad then!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got everything changed, fixing to work on the cleaning the carb, someone said some sea foam might do the trick but I'm guessing I should take it apart and do it right, hopefully I can get it back together, thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, I would just take it apart and do it right and be done with it. That's the only way I can have any luck, anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cleaned the carb and checked all the levels and replaced everything that was missing with the filter, thanks for tips guys, I will admit that I was a little scared pulling the carb apart, especially after losing a jet(don't ask), but ordered another one and adjusted the idle and the thing is running great, thanks for the help and for anyone else scared to do maintenance like that just get a manual and hop on here and you can do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts