Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, thank you for the add. I have a couple projects I will be working on. First one is a 99' Honda Fourtrax nicknamed ol' grandad because no matter what happened while riding it, it always started back up. Second one is an 02' Rancher nicknamed the pumpkin.

The 99' has been sitting for the last 7+years. My brother bought it new back in 99', everything on it is still original. I'm not sure if there is one straight rim on it, but it's reliable.

The 02' I bought new and also has been sitting, but had a little mishap with it one day while out riding it. All was going well until it just shut off on me and i couldn't get it to run again. I planned on working it once i got it home but it was set to the back burner. Now i have some time and a place to work on them, I would like to get them running again.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Hi n welcome from TN allthumbs!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone. I was reading through some of the other posts last night and I think i may have found the issue with my 02' rancher.

I'm no mechanic, only have worked on the simple things like changing starters, thermostats, Alternators, how hard would it be for someone like me to pull the motor and split the case if needed? I bought the manual for the quad some years ago (just have to find it now). Luckily i have a few friends that have been down this road before, but they aren't always available.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
It's not really a level of difficulty but more how much you're willing to keep at it and learn how everything works. I work as a software developer and in my field of work, you don't play with motors at all, only with computers Haha!

However, I tried it and followed the service manual perfectly as well as having nice advice from here. My bike runs so great that I have a smile on my face every time I ride it. Granted, I swore a couple times when I couldn't figure it out but in the end, it's all logic.

Guess what I'm trying to say here is, you'll never know if you don't try :)

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
It's not really a level of difficulty but more how much you're willing to keep at it and learn how everything works. I work as a software developer and in my field of work, you don't play with motors at all, only with computers Haha!

However, I tried it and followed the service manual perfectly as well as having nice advice from here. My bike runs so great that I have a smile on my face every time I ride it. Granted, I swore a couple times when I couldn't figure it out but in the end, it's all logic.

Good luck!
I wish everyone had a mind set as you ^^^^!!!, then they could learn, save cash, and perhaps teach someone else along the way ?. '' can't never could..until it tried '' !!..lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Good luck!
Machinecrook, I am IT and I love working with my hands, i know what you mean by not getting to work with motors! lol But my former jobs weren't in IT, i am also a certified welder as well. I welded for 16 years and decided that it was time for a change, mainly to spend more time with my son, but also to continue learning. I went back to school full time while still welding full time. Glad to hear that the service manual and this site was a great help, reading this give me great hope I will be able to do most of the work myself
I'm sure I will have a few swear words in as well, maybe I'll start a swear jar that will just contribute back to the quads rebuilds haha

Thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I got to work on the 99 fortrax this weekend and the problems were:
1. Rear tires wouldn't move at all - pulled rear drum off and found the brake pads frozen to the drum. Had to chisel the pads off the inside of the drum.

2. Hasn't ran in 7+ years - drained the old gas, checked air filter, hoses checked, plugged pulled checked for compression and spark.
It fired right up with some new gas in it.

What are some different places to order parts from that are not junk? Lol. So far I'll need front and rear brakes

Also would the brake parts from a 2002 Honda rancher fit the 99 fourtrax? From talking to a few people about the 02 rancher engine problems it might end up costing me more than I thought. So I was going to see if I could use any parts from the rancher if needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts