Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01 450 S Foreman. bought 2 weeks ago.
just ordered new brake shoes etc.everything was toast.just turned the drums.
2 in lift with ITP wheels and 26 in MudLites.Gorilla axles etc.
seems fine on soft surface but once on a hard surface like concrete it pulls hard left when you let off the gas.mild to medium pull when on the throttle.
alignment looks good.
when it pulls the handlebars turn also so i didn't think alignment was the problem.
any suggestions??

·
Registered
535 Posts
4x4 engaged? Frozen (or sticking) wheel bearing?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
full time 4x4. always engaged i thought.
wheel bearings look fine,checked while the drums were off for brake job.
checked all the tire pressure cause i heard that could do it.all set at 7psi.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Did it pull before you put the brake shoes on? Did you adjust the brakes evenly, from side to side?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks 69!

pulled before.i am in the process of replacing the brakes now.turned drums today and shoes will be here hopefully by friday.(Race-Driven)
trying to get this thing ready for the deer lease.
i initially pulled the drums and cleaned everything as well as possible and roughed up the drums with 80 grit.also roughed up the shoes that were on it,then adjusted the brakes.
made a little difference in stopping but not near enough.
no difference on the pull to the left.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
If it's not the brakes, the alignment, or tire pressure, it might be a problem on the inside of the front differential. I don't know what it would be, though, I've never had a problem like that.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
i would bet the tie rods need adjusting..if it pulls..it's either because front end is out of align..low tire pressure..or one of the brakes is sticking on the drums..that is..if it has drums ??..if not..then the disk is sticking.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
new brakes on! lots better.
air check,align check,still bad pull to left.
going to play with it some more today when i get home.
run it for 15 minutes or so to break in the shoes/drums.
when i stopped it gas started running out of the overflow tube from the carb bowl.
had to run it dry to stop it.guess thats next on the list !!!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Kind of dangerous, but get the entire bike off the ground (securely), start it, and put it in gear. See if you have a wheel that is not spinning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well kinda did that last nite.
put it on the lift after the test drive.noticed if ya turn one front wheel the other turns at the same time in the same direction.
if the front diff was working right shouldn't one wheel turn the oposite direction?
can turn any wheel and all wheels will move in that direction.
it's also harder to move them than i expected it to be in neutral.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
well kinda did that last nite.
put it on the lift after the test drive.noticed if ya turn one front wheel the other turns at the same time in the same direction.
if the front diff was working right shouldn't one wheel turn the oposite direction?
can turn any wheel and all wheels will move in that direction.
it's also harder to move them than i expected it to be in neutral.
some do turn together..while others turn the other way..i think yamaha's front diff turn oposite of each other on the front ??..i could be wrong ?..maybe your front differental is sticking on your left side..and causing it to pull more ?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
some do turn together..while others turn the other way..i think yamaha's front diff turn oposite of each other on the front ??..i could be wrong ?..maybe your front differental is sticking on your left side..and causing it to pull more ?
News flash, Shadetree, this is a Honda forum. LMAO!!!

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
News flash, Shadetree, this is a Honda forum. LMAO!!!
i'll give you that one helmut !..lmfaooooooooo...at least i don't have allthetimmers like you !..lmfao..gotta love it here !..rotflmao.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I knew I would get you back, I just didn't know I would get you back that quick. LOL!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
totaly loosened all tie rods and realigned the front end.
downloaded a service manual. smart move!!!! the toe in is actually toe OUT- 1.375 in.
solved the problem!
now to figure out the gas overflow problem.
only does it after you turn off engine. checked the floats and they look good,needle valve is free.
definitely getting too much gas to the bowl.
this thing must have been mudded alot and under water alot too.
all vent line on the brakes were completely clogged and the tube on the brake backing plate for the rubber tubing to attach to were rusted shut.
had to drill out the fittings and replace all tubing.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
the toe in is actually toe OUT- 1.375 in.
solved the problem!
Yep, all 4X4s are supposed to be toed out.

only does it after you turn off engine. checked the floats and they look good,needle valve is free.
The problem has to be in the float or float valve or seat not shutting the fuel off. The engine is burning enough to keep it from overflowing and then when you turn the engine off, it runs out the overflow.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
totaly loosened all tie rods and realigned the front end.
downloaded a service manual. smart move!!!! the toe in is actually toe OUT- 1.375 in.
solved the problem!
this thing must have been mudde alot and under water alot too.
all vent line on the brakes were completely clogged and the tube on the brake backing plate for the rubber tubing to attach to were rusted shut.
had to drill out the fittings and replace all tubing.
seems like i mentioned the tie rods being out..wayyyy back at the first post page ??..lol..glad you found your problem !..as for the fuel over flowing..your float it sticking in your carb bowl..probally need to over haul your carb..or you can buy a new float needle..buttttttt..for what that cost..you can purchase a whole carb rebuild kit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah yeah yeah! i know!! just didn't know they were toed out that much!
will probably do the complete rebuild now that i found sand in the bowl.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If the float and needle are good, then it has to be the seat...though sand in the carb isn't good either.:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts